Chapter 16

APHRODITE'S VIEW

We walked into his home and it was brightly lit and comfortably furnished. Large computer screens, papers and devices decorated a large corner of his living room. This man was muscular and looked to be about 5'8 and around his mid-thirties. His hair was short and dark brown, his eyes blue. He was fairly handsome.[NOTE: CHANGES WERE MADE TO HIS AGE. FORMALLY 50, NOW 35]

"What have you found?" Bruce asked as he led us to his screen.

"Seismic activity has begun to develop in small areas in the city."

"Be more specific."

"Underground, Wayne. My sensors haven't picked up anymore activity but something is literally about to occur beneath our feet." The man sighed then turned to me. "It's finally nice to meet you, Ms. Johnson." He said and held out his hand. 

"Thank you. Nice to meet you too." I replied. I shook his firm hand and he smiled warmly at me. 

"You two ran into him earlier?" He asked.

"We attended his wedding." Bruce stated.

"Right, right...of course. So I'm guessing he knows who you are."

"Unfortunately." Bruce said, turning to Se'ir's computer. If it hadn't been for me talking about plans at the wedding, he wouldn't have known; I still continued to blame myself for it even when Bruce told me not to. It was just one f**k up after the other with me.

"The guy did always have sharp ears." Se'ir commented then turned to me.

"Tu mi capisci vero? [TRANSLATION: "You understand me don't you"]" He said all of a sudden and it took me by surprise.

"Sì, Come fai a saperlo? [TRANSLATION: "Yes, how did you know?"]" I asked. Bruce gave me a curious look, giving away the fact he didn't know I was capable of speaking Italian. I had taken lessons my entire life in Metropolis. I only knew how to speak Italian and Greek. Greek mainly because of my parents and their obvious obsession.

"Per essere onesti, ho appena dato una prova. Oggi è il mio giorno fortunato.. [TRANSLATION: "To be honest, I just gave it a try. Today is my lucky day."]" Se'ir responded. We chuckled while Bruce was fixated on the chart of seismic activity on Se'ir's laptop.

"There's no time for games. Get serious." He announced firmly. "The activity seems to be growing underground, even as we speak. Whatever is going on is occurring at the heart of the city." He added.

"How much time does she have?" Se'ir asked Bruce.

"About 20 hours, but she will not join him."

"Merda. [TRANSLATION: "Shit."]" He cussed. "He also threatened you, didn't he?" He asked.

"Yes. He said he was going to terrorize the city if I didn't willingly join him." I replied. He offered me a seat and I flopped down on the couch.

"Typical. All the years I've known him, he has never once bluffed. And right now...I don't have a clue how to stop him. It is impossible to attempt drilling through his tunnels without the earth elemental knowing and defending it. Contacting him isn't an option either, he leaves no means for such."

"There's always another way. We just haven't found it yet." Bruce said. Ever the optimist.

"Before we continue this, how have you managed to get your ability under control? Last time I saw you on the news, you had disintegrated one of his creatures."

"I thought you claimed to have detached yourself from the media." Bruce said, still gazing at the laptop and comparing charts.

"Yes, I have in fact maintained that...but her story was unique enough to catch my attention. Please continue, sorry for the interruption."