Chapter 44

*THIS STORY WILL BE COMPLETED IN THE 50TH CHAPTER (OR LESS). THIS WILL ALSO BE A VERY LONG CHAPTER TO MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME . AFTER THE EPILOGUE, THE STORY WILL BE SEVERELY EDITED FOR POTENTIAL ERRORS/MINOR ADDITIONS AND WILL BE OFFICIALLY COMPLETED. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR READING, I APPRECIATE YOUR VOTES AND COMMENTS, THEY KEEP ME GOING. ENJOY THE READ.*

_______________________________________________________________

THIRD PERSON VIEW.

Once again, time seemed to stop as Aphrodite just didn't seem to catch a break. She spun around fast enough to see Bruce brought to his knees by three of Xenos' hulking and possessed men. He had blood on his face, his costume was ripped and his cowl cracked; she could see him breathing hard and trying to maintain his resolve but the situation was soon proving to be beyond his control.

"Batman!" She shouted and began to run in his direction, blasting away anyone in her way.

"I wouldn't get in the way if I were you, goddess." Xenos chuckled with a dismissive wave. As she got close to him, she felt sharp pains in her chest, her body began to slow down and a chill began to spread through her, signifying that his spirit friends had begun to deal with her. Aphrodite felt her body gradually become weak as she felt her run become a walk and eventually, a crawl. Her breaths were soon becoming short as she seemed be farther away from Bruce than she intended.

"Get o-out!" She managed to say as she felt her movements come to a stop. Looking at her hands and arms, she noticed black wisps of smoke escaping them as the chills continued to spread and the pain in her chest intensified.

"Remember, we are legion." Voices echoed in her head, causing her to flashback to her earlier breakdown by the park on her way home. The voices seemed to slither into her mind and bounce about, disrupting her cognitive process. Around her, more screams seemed to erupt as her vision swam around; she followed the sounds of distress and found Superman in a severe blood grip and the others brought to their knees. Aphrodite's lips and hands trembled as her body was unable to react to help them, hell, she couldn't even help herself. Cold hands closed around her arms to lift her up and bring her closer to Xenos while the rest were also brought forward a placed in a line before him. Aphrodite could hear the pained screams of Nightwing, Bruce, Se'ir, Kathy, Superman, Eric and Analise as they remained on their knees in excruciating pain; there was another scream joining theirs and Aphrodite couldn't quite place it as her own body continued to endure the worst.

It took her quite a while to realize that the scream was hers.

XENOS' VIEW.

It was almost perfect.

Almost.

I found myself grinning at the incredible line up before me, my right hand still trained on the man of steel. I would admit, he was causing me more trouble, but he might prove to be useful to me if tamed properly. I brought him down, now using both my hands to secure him, as I put him next to Eric.

I trained my attention on the other beings writhing in front me and eyed them happily. Batman and his allies were very worn out, just as I planned, and the elementals pleaded as their pain levels increased, just as I demanded; they would learn never to disobey. But of course, the most unbearable screams came from my very own partner in crime, or rather, my intended partner. I walked down to her as my creatures held her down and observed her; her beautiful features flooded with pain as tears began to run down her face. She was writhing around so much, I had to bend in front of her and grab her face to get her attention. I hated seeing her like that, I honestly did, but I had to enforce my rules to maintain my grip on them. Her skin was cold to the touch, her lips slightly bloodied and her eyes puffy from crying; she whimpered and trembled as she tried to keep up the façade of control but we both knew it was a useless effort, brave but useless nonetheless.