Chapter Thirty-One - Trapped

Lily landed, coughing slightly with all the ash, on the living room carpet that she knew so well. As much as it would have been nice to lay down and catch her breath, she knew she had to get out of the way, as Oli would be arriving soon. Lily had slight misgivings about Oli travelling by floo powder for the first time in such important circumstances, but she knew she had to trust him for the sake of the plan being executed properly. 

Once she had sat up on the sofa, Lily faced one of the most nerve-wracking minutes she could remember, waiting and wondering if Oli would get to her unharmed. She was inwardly praying to every God she had ever heard of that he would be alright, and eventually she heard a clanging noise. Jumping up in surprise, she looked down to see the man himself sprawled on the carpet. Before Oli had done more than get up, groaning slightly, George had toppled out of the fireplace. The three first years waited in silence for Albus. Barely a minute later, yet more ash fell as Al appeared.

"No one's woken up yet," Al said, and Lily breathed a sigh of relief.

"We're in the clear," James' voice said, as the fifth and final member of the troupe entered the room.

"Now, let's go and find the inventory!" Lily said.

***

Al wasn't quite correct when he said that no one had heard them leave. One person saw Oli leave, from the top of the girls' staircase. Five minutes later, Deryn was running out of Gryffindor Tower to report what she had seen.

***

Lily, however, was oblivious to this, as she opened the desk drawer in her father's office. The small black boxes that contained the powerful portkeys looked inconspicuous so that they wouldn't appeal to potential thieves who somehow broke through security. Lily opened one of the boxes and withdrew a small placard with 'HOME' written on it, ignoring the one that said, 'MINISTRY'

"Right guys," Lily said, showing them all the object. "If anyone presses this button, themselves and anyone they're touching, or are touching the placard, will be transported here."

"And we don't leave anybody behind," James added, "Anyone who's alive, they come home." Lily tried not to think about the risk of death again.

"So, Lily said. She picked up the book that she knew contained all the locations. "I've seen Dad do this once when I was little, so I think I know how." She flicked to the M section and found Malfoy Manor. "Malfoy Manor." She said, uncertainly. Everyone jumped as the lid of a box flew off and revealed a placard with the name on. Lily took it.

"This one works in the same way," James said, as Lily picked it up. "Is everyone fully ready and understands the aim?" James asked.

"To get Hugo and Rosie and Jayla and to return here undetected," Oli said.

"Yes," Lily said. "James and Al, you're more advanced in defensive spells than the rest of us, so just in case we are discovered, I think I'm going to ask you to look out and protect the rest of us. Then, each of us first years will be responsible for rescuing one prisoner. I think Jayla will be weaker than the others, so as Oli is stronger than me and George, you're in charge of rescuing and protecting her. George, you can go to Hugo and I'll go to Rosie. Also, there's a spare wand here." Lily opened another drawer and drew out the ancient blackthorn wand her father had once won from a death eater, in a duel.

"Give that to Rosie," James said.

"That's my plan," Lily replied.

"Okay, so everyone is ready now?" Al asked.

"Yes," George said, and everyone nodded.

"Everyone put one hand on the Malfoy Manor portkey," Al said, "Lily, remember the home one,"