Chapter Eighteen - Breakthrough

Lily and Jayla did not have much to do over the following days, having finished their homework. After their potions test on Friday, Lily and Jayla dragged the boys to the library to research what could cause these things.

"Do we have to go?" George asked, to which Jayla grabbed his arm and dragged him the remaining corridor. 

"I just finished that test! I don't need more work!" Hugo complained.

"To be fair, we did just work our socks off for a week." Oli said. 

"My cousins are doing the NEWTS and they studied three hours everyday over Christmas, this is leisure, not work." Lily said, in a business like voice. Lily knew she had won; the boys could not come up with a response, although they certainly tried their best. When Lily got to the library she looked in the enchantments section, as it was as decent a place as any. She spent five minutes flicking through a book before realising it was fruitless to search for something she didn't know anything about. They were about to turn back, when a student that Lily recognised as Marcus Tunely, who was on her Quidditch Team, came up to Lily.

"Hey, Potter, I was told to give you this." He said, and handed her a scroll.

"Thank you!" Lily called as he walked away.

"He's polite." Oli said bluntly as the boy walked away. Lily opened the scroll. "What does it say?" Oli asked with enthusiasm. Lily sped-read the scroll.

"I'm to meet Professor Bones in her office right away. Apparently, I'm not in trouble."

"You better go then." Jayla said. 

"I'll meet you in the common room later, how much later, I don't know."

"We'll wait." Jayla said as Lily walked away. "Bye!"

"See you." Lily walked out of the room and down the corridor, into the deserted entrance hall. She then took the well-trodden path down to the dungeons, and turned to knock on a door with 'Professor S. H. Bones' on a small plaque. Lily knocked three times. The door was opened and Professor Bones could be heard.

"Lily, ah yes, come in." Lily stepped inside the office. Along the walls were shelves filled with books, photographs and potion bottles. A huge cauldron stood in a corner, and seemed to be managing to take up most of the room in the small office. Professor Bones was stood behind her desk, piled high with papers and scrolls, and she indicated to Lily to sit in the small chair in front of the desk.

"So, Lily. Let's cut to the chase. You have achieved a perfect score in every theory test we have taken so far, and in class you know the answers. Your practical work would put some of my OWL students to shame, and today you produced a basic sleeping draft, which you have never before made, better than even your brother Albus could, and that is high praise indeed." Lily glowed. "This means you're leaving everyone else far, far, behind in terms of grades. So, from now on, all of your practical work in class will be from this book," She picked up an old and battered textbook on her desk and handed it to Lily. "I will give you a page number every lesson. On Tuesday, I'll be assessing you, and just you, on your spontaneous ability, so please look through the book. I'll tell you now, when Hermione was your age she outshone everyone in potions and produced a polyjuice." Professor Bones smiled at the memory.

"I've heard that story many times, Professor!" Lily laughed.

"Ah, Miss Potter, you'll be good until the days your powers are accidentally reversed." The teacher said. Lily wondered. Reversed. Was that possible.

Hang on a second.

Reversed.

After her dismissal, Lily pelted up seven flights of stairs, and into a common room where only Jayla sat, alone.