Chapter Eleven - Gryffindor Versus Slytherin

The repercussion of the ghosts' 'death' on the school was astronomical by Hogwarts standards. Lily's party in the evening was dampened by that and the fact that Jayla had to leave. Lily accompanied her back to the hospital wing at eight pm, along with her pyjamas and homework. They walked slowly along the corridor, the taller Jayla leaning down on Lily for support.

"So, how's the hospital wing?" Lily asked, trying to sound merely conversational. Jayla wrinkled her nose.

"My lunch was OK, and dinner was better. Nurse keeps me up to date on the news and she told me about the ghosts. It's too strict though, up there, and being the only one was a bit lonely. As much as I don't want anyone else to get ill, or hurt themselves, I would like the company."

Lily laughed at her friends humorous comment, and replied with,

"Jayla, it's not everyday you have a major aneurysm. You'll probably be out within a day, which the nurse would probably say would never happen in the muggle world." Lily looked up at her friend as they reached the sixth and final staircase towards the hospital wing.

"Yeah, I guess Lils." Lily stopped in her tracks, causing Jayla to overbalance slightly. "What?" Jayla looked at her, confused and a little irritated.

"You just called me Lils. It's fine, just strange." Jayla shrugged and gave Lily a look that said, 'is that really it?' as they started off again.

"Yeah, well, your brothers call you Lils and so does Hugo, so it seemed fitting." Jayla just focused on the staircase, still slightly wobbly with the twinges of pain in her back. The two made it to the hospital wing in good time for eight thirty, so ten minutes later Lily was back in the common room. Hugo and George came over to talk to her, and then they had to face Milly and the Catsby sisters.

"Lily, do you know where Jayla is?" Milly asked, very politely, although not entirely masking the curiosity in her voice.

"Yes, she's in the hospital wing because she was ill on the way to the library yesterday." Lily replied, in a light and airy tone.

"Ah, OK. Thanks, Lily." Milly walked away with the two sisters, and they started gossiping immediately. Whilst everyone in their house and year got along very well, friendships and groups had been pretty obvious from day one. Lily and Jayla obviously hung out with Hugo, Oli and George. Milly, Olivia and Iona had become close since the first days, and spent most of their time gossiping about boys. Deryn was normally with Irfon, the boy called Aled and Charles, the people that Hugo had eloquently named 'The Welshies.' They only spoke in Welsh together outside of classes, and often stayed away from the others, hiding in the library or empty classrooms.

Lily had to admit, she liked only having to interact with a small group of friends. If she was really close with her whole year, she'd end up telling the same stories a million times, and falling out with people could become... Awkward, if there were a lot of other people to consider.

Lily fell asleep on the night of her birthday considering everything that had happened.

To most, it was unfortunate coincidence, but to someone, it meant more. Lily just had that unfortunate feeling of fear, that something was really wrong, and that no one realised. This was important. How important, she had no idea.

In the coming days Lily missed her best friend more and more, and was most glad when Jayla was at breakfast on Saturday. Entering the hall with George, Lily saw that Oli and Hugo; always the early birds, were talking to a very healthy-looking version of Jayla.

"Lily! George!" She called out, as they came nearer to the table. "How are you both!" This was more like it, Lily thought, the proper Jayla.

"Woah, woah, firstly how are you?" George laughed at her eagerness.