Chapter Twenty - Eight - The Aftermath

Lily had fallen asleep in her chair before Vic had finished writing the letter to send back to the adults with Harmony, assuring Ginny they were all OK. The sun was high in the sky now, and Molly was watching over her cousins, sleeping peacefully. She herself couldn't sleep, not knowing that Rosie and Hugo were out there somewhere. She sat in the window seat and watched the clock. At seven, Professor Vector entered the common room. She cast an eye over the sleeping children. Lily was curled up like a cat in an armchair. Lucy, Dom and Roxie were all draped over a two-seater sofa. James was lying on the floor beside the dying embers of the fire, with Fred and Al not far away. Vic was lying on a small wooden table. She had been watching as Molly had but had fallen asleep less than an hour before.

"Professor," Molly said. Her voice was slightly cracked and she sounded parched.

"Miss Weasley," Professor Vector replied, "Have you received word from your family yet?"

"Yes," Molly sighed, "We got a collective letter from Ginny Potter, our aunt."

"That's my understanding," Vector nodded, "I have been told you plan to remain at school. It is safer than returning home, however." The lady pursed her lips, "There are implications."

"Which are?" Molly prompted.

"You have to stay in Gryffindor Tower. The rest of the school will have the option to return home, and those who stay will be on the same terms. We will be making a dining place of sorts in here, and the House Elves will serve you."

"That's... Unusual, Professor," Molly said, uncertainly.

"Desperate measures for desperate times, Weasley."

"Of course," Molly replied, nodding.

"The portrait hole is out of bounds. Do me a favour and tell anyone who tries to leave," Professor Vector rubbed her wane face in an exhausted way.

"Professor?" Molly said, tentatively as Vector turned to exit the room.

"Yes, Weasley?"

"I'm sure it will be okay," Molly said, and the teacher saw the youthful optimism in her pupil's eyes, and forced a smile.

"I hope you're right," Professor Vector left the room and Molly was left alone with her sleeping cousins and sister.

***

Lily awoke much later to a common room that looked a little different to the one she remembered. All the chairs in the circle hers was part of had been vacated. In fact, as Lily stared around the room the only people she could see were Jayla, George and Oli. It wasn't a dream, then, Lily thought, It was real and Hugo is missing, still. And Rosie. Gone.

Jayla, Oli and George had been deep in conversation, their backs to her. Oli suddenly looked around at where Lily was sitting with her eyes half open.

"Guys," He said, turning back to Jayla and George, "Lily's awake." The other two turned and looked at Lily, smiling. She got up and walked over to them, a little bit unsteady on her feet.

"Hey," Jayla said as she sat down. "It's lunch, we were going to wake you soon."

"Where is everyone?" Lily asked, getting straight to the point, "Is everyone still safe?"

"Relax, everyone's fine, and no one else has left their common rooms. Rosie and Hugo are missing still." George said.

"So are they all at the Great Hall?" Lily asked, confused.

"Well, about three-quarters of the house have been sent home. We told our parents we'd like to stay," Jayla replied.

"The teachers were really busy this morning. Look here," Oli said, pointing to a door next to the portrait hole which had not been there before.