Chapter Twenty-Seven - Kidnapped

Lily was shaken awake a few hours later, by none other than Vic, her cousin.

"Lily!" Vic said, her voice urgent, as Lily opened her eyes blearily.

"Vic? What's up?" Lily asked, her voice tired. She looked at her watch, "It's half past five."

"This is important! I've been told that we all have to go to the Great Hall, now!"

"Why?" Lily asked, a horrible feeling settling in her stomach and a prickle of fear shivering up her spine.

"I can't tell you, Lily," Vic said, earnestly. "I wasn't even allowed to tell Mini. Anyway, I've been in every dorm except the third and fourth year ones, and I have to wake you all. First years!" She raised her voice, as the girls in Lily's dorm stirred. "Wake up please!" The hangings were pulled from around five beds, and the five other girls sat up grumbling. "I'm sorry!" Vic said, "But this is urgent, you need to go to the Great Hall immediately! Take only your dressing gowns."

Still muttering under their breaths, the first years all got up and left the dorm without talking to each other. Lily put her hand in her dressing gown pocket and felt the small piece of paper.

"What do you think this is about?" Jayla whispered to Lily as they filed into the common room, mixing with the boys as they poured out of their area of the tower.

"I have no idea. As long as nobody's hurt, it'll be okay." Lily said, grimacing. She turned around and saw Hugo, Oli and George walking towards them.

"What's up?" Oli asked as he walked alongside Lily.

"I don't know." Lily said, "What do you reckon, Hugo?"

"I hope there's food," Hugo said. Lily laughed because she didn't want to tell him off.

"Serious face, Hugo!" Jayla said, also taking the excuse to laugh.

"Nope, I'm determined to be happy!" Hugo said, loudly. "I need the loo, I'll catch you up!" And off he skipped to the boy's bathroom one corridor away.

When the other four reached the Great Hall, they saw the benches and tables were laid out as normal. The two girls sat down at their usual table and looked up. A small group of sickly looking students who were in the hospital wing were stood in one corner with Nurse Alice.  The teacher's table was empty. As Lily looked around more, she saw all the staff were dressed and beginning to file into the hall, wands drawn. This couldn't be good. As the very last person entered the hall, the Headmistress, Professor Vector, strode towards the top of the hall, in front of the staff table.

"Good morning, students." The Professor said, her voice low and serious. "I am so sorry for summoning you at this hour, but I have a very important question to pose to you all. Last night, someone broke into the castle." Some students let out very audible gasps, and chatter threatened to break out with every word the teacher said. "I do not know why, but they forced their way through a window on the fourth floor, presumably with some very powerful dark magic," Vector paused and took a deep steadying breath. "Now, has anything noticeably gone missing?" The hall was silent as everyone thought and held their breath. Lily clasped her hand around the paper in her pocket, reassuring herself. 

Someone from the other end of the Gryffindor table raised her hand. Lily noticed Scarlet, Al's crush and firm friend. Professor Vector pointed at her, and she got to her feet, trembling.

"Something's missing." She said, stuttering a little. "Except it's not a thing."

"What is it?" Professor Vector raised her eyebrows.

"A student." 

There was absolute silence in the hall. Lily had a horrible feeling that she knew who this was, by the fact that it was Scarlett who had spoken up.