Chapter Twelve - December

The Quidditch equipment remained out of use for the rest of the term. The oddest thing was, Professor Vector had sent away for new bludgers and a snitch, however when these were trialled they too did not work.

Everyone was thoroughly confused by the time December arrived. The Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw teams seemed on edge; and many Quidditch fans were very disappointed at the mystifying circumstances. Even more bad news arrived when the whole school were informed at breakfast a week before the end of term that Hagrid had flu, and was therefore unable to help decorate the castle.

"Some of you younger students will be helping, as is tradition, to make magical decorations in your lessons." Professor Vector explained one Friday morning. Lily was paying so much attention to the headmistress that Jayla had to quickly grab a napkin and catch the cereal that had fallen from Lily's spoon. After a whispered thanks, Lily had missed the rest of the Professor's announcements. 

Walking to Transfiguration, Hugo started to speak.

"Ten days left. We'll be home soon. I can't believe how quickly time flies." He sighed nostalgically and looked in to the distance. Lily snapped a finger in front of his face.

"It isn't that long since we were home, Hugo. I'll take it you have the same plans as us? Meet up at the Burrow until after new year?" Hugo nodded.

"I'll be back to the muggle world." Oli said, not looking overly thrilled. "And pretend to my family that I'm at an abroad version of Eton." He raised his hands in mock celebration. "I will be pleased to see my mum again though."

"What's Eton?" George looked curious. "And why abroad?"

"Well, One, Eton is a really posh and expensive private boarding school for boys. Two, my family are extremely nosy, but terrible at languages. This way they won't be able to look up my 'school'." Everyone laughed at this

"That's smart." Lily said, as they reached the transfiguration class. Before anyone could reply, Professor Carmarthen opened the door and everybody in the queue fell silent.

"Good morning class." She said, shooting a look that could kill at Deryn, whom she didn't seem to  like, for talking to Charles. "Today we will be making the Christmas decorations mentioned earlier today by the headmistress. The spell for creation of these decorations has been completed by my third years, as it is too advanced for students of your age. All you need to do is add sparkles and decoration. In you come."

As they all filed into the room, Lily and Hugo were surprised to see Rose standing on the inside of the classroom.

"As you can see, we have Miss Weasley, from third year, here to demonstrate the decoration techniques. Gather round this table please class." There was a small tussle to get a position where it was possible to see. Lily bustled her way to the front by a combination of wriggling and elbowing. Deryn, also small, was beside her. A good few of the class could see straight over their heads, and so no one really minded. Rose stood nervously behind the professor, who was standing along the edge of the desk where no students were.

"Miss Weasley has agreed to conjure a star and give you a few ideas for decoration. Rose?" At a gesture from the professor, Rose stepped up to the table. At a circular wave of her wand, a molten liquid appeared in the air and fused into an ornamental star, like the type muggles put on Christmas trees.

"So, there are a few ways I thought of for decoration. They're actually mostly in your textbook, on page 114 was it, professor?" Rose's red curly ponytail swished as she turned to look at Carmarthen, who nodded.

"OK," Rose pushed on, "So this is probably the easiest. Magic snow." There was an excited whisper as everybody digested this news. "To do this, you need to flick your wand like you're trying to create snow, and then think of the coldest place you can remember being. Like this." Rose allowed her wand to bob up and down, pointing at her star, as a white and glittery substance appeared on the surface.