Chapter Seven - The First Day

Lily woke to the beeping sound of the alarm next to her. Pulling back the hangings, she spied Jayla doing exactly the same thing next to her. They both reached onto Lily's chair to turn off the alarm and then giggled as they both removed their arms at the same time. Lily pushed the button on top of the magic alarm and turned it off. Both girls got up and moved to the end of their adjacent beds.

By day, the dormitory was a little too light but very pleasant. Lily, from where her bed was, could see that Olivia and the blonde girl whose surname was Jones had also woken up from the alarm. Lily took the opportunity to introduce herself.

"Hi," She said to the girl. "I'm Lily, what's your name?"

"I'm Milly Jones." She smiled at Lily. "So we have rhyming names!"

"Do you know what her name is?" Lily pointed to the last bed, with WOODWARD on the end.

"Her name's Deryn. She doesn't speak much though, I don't know why."

"Oh OK." although a little puzzled, Lily turned away from the sleeping Deryn's bed, and towards her trunk.

Lifting up the lid, Lily could tell her trunk did not travel well. Things had gone all over the place, but luckily all the ink bottles were intact.

Pulling out her schoolbag, Lily crammed it with all her books, her makeup bag, her quills and an ink bottle, as well as two rolls of parchment for notes she thought she might need to take. Lily also grabbed all her uniform, her blouse, plain robes and tie, and her jumper and pleated skirt.

After she was dressed and had had time to get ready in the bathroom, Lily sat down on her bed to brush her long, tangled red hair.

"How can you grow your hair that long?" Milly asked in amazement.

"Are you muggle born Milly?" Lily was sure she was, everyone knew about this potion.

"Yes. Why, is it a magic thing to have long hair?"

"Not necessarily. It's a potion. My hair's not normally nearly as long as yours. Do you want to try some for today?"

"Please!" Milly looked eagerly at Lily. "Does it make your hair straight as well?"

"Yup. The whole lot." Lily passed the bottle to Milly. "Can I do it for you though? It can go very wrong if you aren't careful."

"OK." Milly shrugged. "I'm ready now, are you?"

"Yes." Lily said, putting the hairbrush down on her bed. "So if you sit on the floor and I'll stand up, is that OK? Only I'm too small to reach up to your head if you stand up."

"That's fine." Milly said, sitting on the floor beside her bed. Lily stood behind her and applied the lotion onto the top of her head, and then to the ends of her hair. Milly's usually frizzy hair suddenly became glossy and grew down her back and to the base of her spine.

"Done." Lily said, smiling at her friend. "Go look in the mirror."

As Milly left for the bathroom, Jayla came back in.

"Do you think we should wake up that girl? Deryn?" Lily enquired of Jayla.

"Um. No, not yet." Olivia and Iona came back at that moment. Lily turned to them.

"Do you think we should wake up Deryn?" She asked.

"I think so. It's nearly eight, after all." Olivia looked fixed on her idea. She pulled back the hangings on the end bed and spoke the girl's name.
Deryn bolted upright and spoke suddenly.

"What's the time?" She looked panicked.
"It's a quarter to eight." Iona said.
"OK. I'll get up then."
Deryn's hair bobbed up and down as she pulled things out of her trunk in a mad rush. As she left the room, Lily turned to Jayla.