Chapter 23

Levi's POV:

"Where is she?!" I growled as I kicked down her door. The room was empty, and there was no signs of her being taken by force. 

"I've checked the training grounds there as well, and I found these along with some footprints that look to be her size," said Hanji as she creeped up behind me. She was holding one military issued dagger, and another one that was strangely familiar...

"Hanji, are there any other members of the Survey Corps that came from the underground?!" I shouted as I snatched the daggers. 

"Not that I know of. I'll go ask the Commander," she squeaked as she ran off. I sprinted to my office and set them down on the table. Hanji came bursting in shortly after, dragging someone along.

"Here we are!" she chimed. "This is Mei, she came from the underground, just like you!" She shoved the young girl forward, it looks like she had just been fresh out of training, no older than 15. 

"Does this look familiar to you?" I asked as I held up the suspicious dagger. She walked up and took it in her hands, examining the blade. As she got to the hilt, she gasped and dropped it.

"What is it?" Hanji asked as she put her arm around Mei.

"The insignia... Look at the hilt," she muttered. I nodded and picked up the dagger, examining the hilt. Then I saw it.

"The mark of the crime guild in the underground," I said quietly.

"How do you know it's not a fake?" asked Hanji as she came around to take a look. 

"The mark is made in blood," I pointed out. "We'll need our best fighters if we're going to get her out of there. This guild is not hesitant to kill. In fact, I think this insignia was made with a citizen's blood."

"Mei, you may go," said Hanji. Mei nodded and rushed out of the room. "Come on, let's go get Erwin." Soon, many of our best were packed into the small meeting room, including my whole squad and two cadets: Mikasa and Armin.

"Why are we here?" whispered Armin to his friend.

"I don't know, but whatever it is, it's something big to have so many of our best here," she replied.

"Attention!" shouted Erwin to shut everybody up. "We are here today because Lieutenant Akiyama has gone missing. Captain Levi and Squad Leader Hanji have discovered that she might be somewhere in the Underground City. You were picked because of your expertise in fighting and combat. But instead of fighting titans, we will be fighting humans."

"What?! But I'm not strong at all, and we're just cadets, we can't go up against other people!" whispered Mop Top.

"You're here because Commander Erwin sees that you have potential in strategy. After all, you were the brains behind Trost being plugged," I said to him. He nodded and saluted in a nervous manner. I scoffed and returned back to Erwin.

"Captain Levi will be your commanding officer for this mission since he has knowledge of the Underground City," he said. "Dismissed."

"Everyone down to the training grounds. Now," I shouted.