Chapter 2

Before I could say anything the black haired boy began to speak.

"The name's Levi," he said.

"My name's Isabelle Magnolia! Nice to meet you!" Isabelle said cheerfully.

"My name is Farlan Church," said the sandy haired boy.

"Flagon, these three will be assigned to your squad. Look after them." Keith said.

"M-My squad, sir?" Flagon replied. I could tell he wasn't happy but yet again neither would I.

"Are you dissatisfied?" Keith asked with his death glare.

"N-No..." said Flagon, looking at the ground with dread. I smiled, I know he would have trouble with them. Keith dismissed us and the three hopped down from the platform. As everyone was talking amongst themselves I sauntered on over to them.

"Isabelle!" I exclaimed. She spun around and threw herself into my arms.

"Big sister Nanami!" she said. As I was holding her, I saw Levi and Farlan standing there, wide eyed. "I haven't seen you in too long! Where have you been?" said Isabelle as she loosened her grip on me.

"Well, the last night you saw me I ended up getting chased after you left and I ended up being thrown over a cliff to the surface little under an hour afterwards." I said giving Levi and Farlan a hard glare.

"And you were able to survive on the surface? How did someone not kill you or throw you back down to the underground city?!" she said surprised.

"Well you see, that soldier over there with the big eyebrows found me and gave me citizenship if I joined the military and then the Survey Corps," I said smiling. "So I upheld my promise."

"That's so sweet!" Isabelle said. "What rank are you?"

"I'm a captain, so I guess that means I'm you're superior," I said smiling.

"Nanami!" said a voice behind me. There stood Hanji with Petra following close behind.

"Oh, hello Hanji," I said, letting go of Isabelle.

"Erwin needs to speak with you," said Petra.

"Aw, don't go Nanami!" said Isabelle grabbing my arm.

"I'll come see you guys later, okay?" I said to her as I walked away.

"What did Erwin want?" I asked Hanji as we walked away.

"I think it was a change in formation if I remember correctly," said Hanji.

Later...

"You wanted to see me sir?" I asked Erwin as I entered his office.

"Yes, Captain Nanami, I want you to stay with Flagon's squad on the upcoming expedition," he said.

"But I'm meant to stay in your squad what's with the sudden change?" I asked him.

"You came from the underground city, along with those three. In case they get out of control, I want you to be there to contain them and sympathize with them," he said. I was startled but it was not my place to complain.

"Understood sir," I said to Erwin as I left the room. Why would they get out of control? I questioned Erwin's strange change in formation as I walked down to the barracks. I heard voices emanating from a room so I stood next to the door and listened very closely. I could make out the voices of Isabelle, Levi, and Farlan.

"You threw her up there?!" I heard Isabelle say.

"Tech. She was breaking and entering," I heard Levi say.

"I know but you didn't have to do that!" said Isabelle.

"Isabelle, we acted on instinct and look, it turned out for the better for her," said Farlan. It was at this point when I decided to step in.

"Hey guys," I said opening the door.

"Oh hi Nanami!" said Isabelle nervously. I looked over at Farlan who was looking down at the ground and Levi who looked emotionless. That tiny was so hard to read. I turned to Isabelle and gave her a reassuring pat on the head.

"Anyway, are you guys ready for the upcoming expedition in two weeks?" I asked.

"Tch." Levi scuffed leaning against the wall. Farlan gave me a nervous smile and I felt something tackle me onto the floor and I realized it was Isabelle. We laughed it off and we talked into the night. Levi just leaned against the wall, emotionless. Soon Farlan and Isabelle fell asleep on the floor, leaving just Levi and me. "Tch." he said. I turned away from Levi's glare, stroking Isabelle's head on my lap. I don't know how long we stayed like this but I just simply sat there. The minutes felt like hours as they passed and I finally mustered up the courage to speak.

"Why."

"Eh?"

"Why did you throw me over that cliff like I was trash? Why did you take no emotion or pity in almost taking someone's life away? Why did I come inches from death for saving my own life? Why is the world like this? Why are you like this?" I felt tears start to form in my eyes. I watched as Levi got up and walked over to the door. He opened it and stepped outside. I got a glimpse of him before he shut the door and walked away. I smiled to myself since I didn't need an answer from him. Whether he liked it or not, his eyes told the whole story. His face may have been emotionless but his eyes spoke, they shouted, they screamed. They whispered, "I'm sorry."