prologue.

"It's not like that!" Her voice filled with anger as he raised his eyebrows up watching her crumble. The sadness in her eyes built up the confidence steve had as he surrounded himself around Tommy and Carol. "I-I just needed the money so I-"

"You what?" Tommy's smile warned her for the worst to come "who would have know Margaret Leemus would sell her body to a freak-"

"How dare you Tommy. You know that's not true!

" her voice cracked as her sight passed steve and onto the freckle face asshole Steve called his best friend.

"Aw, Mar don't cry, you did this to yourself" Carol awed sarcastically with her hands stuffed in her bomber jacket. The two mocked margaret while she stood defenseless in front of the three careless people in the world.

"Don't you ever call me that" Carol and Tommy laughed as Margaret let tears trail down her cheeks in the month of October. It stung at how fast they dried from the soft breeze going against her.

"Why does jonathan call you that? Does he scream it out while you go it his house?" Carol questioned making Margaret look bad in front of her boyfriend. It embarrassed Steve as well.  "Mar is the big freak's slut!" She sang for a minute before Tommy joined in.

"Alright cut it out," Harrington gritted his teeth as they continued, he kept his glare on the girl he'd been dating for two years. "Did you two not hear me? I said shut up!" Margaret feared Steve's tone, he turned the the couple with devil eyes.

"It was just chemistry. He needed help and I already took the class-"

"It was definitely chemistry, you see the way she looks at him steve?" Tommy added not giving her a chance to explain herself. Truth was, if tommy and carol weren't there, he would have believed her. Tommy played with Steve's mind and fed him with lies, it was his plan since she took up most of his time.

Steve was infuriated, he thought she made him look like a fool but little did he realize it were the two friends he's ever had. Steve watched as she closed her eyes frustrated from Tommy's lies. It was expected, she wasn't going to win him back. "You're pathetic." Steve finally spoke, sending chills down her spine and darting her eyes open at him.

"You really are full of shit" he scoffed, she shook her head in shame.

He backed away from her, closer to his friends while she stood clenching the books in front of her chest. "It won't- it won't happen again" she bit the inside of her cheek wiping her tears from falling, she stretched her sleeve. She didn't think being around Jonathan Byers would cause so much commotion. It wasn't anything bad, she needed the extra money for her car and he had been struggling in chemistry for what seemed like years.

"Steve" her trembled voice called out the only man she had ever loved, tears brimming in her eyes while she attempted to find the words to bring him back. "You know It's not like that, you have to believe me! They're lying!" There was nothing she could say or do she had lost him. She, in fact, lost him two months ago when nancy wheeler walked into his math class after a switched schedule.

The same Nancy Wheeler that invited Margaret over for sleepovers and road trips. The close friend she never introduced to steve. That wasn't anything deep though, she planned on doing so when she felt that Steve was comfortable with expanding his friend group. Turns out, he wasn't.

Steve was a man of all things, all women admired, he was captain and king at everything, excluding education. He wooed every woman that saw him and thats what Margaret feared, she was too insecure of herself to let him freely be on his own. She followed him everywhere. Often when he and tommy wanted to go somewhere, she would interrogate him and attempt to convince him not to go. Margaret hated Tommy, he saw it too. Tommy being the asshole he was wanted steve for himself. After a while, steve stopped informing her and would go hours without speaking to her after school. She would get angry and begin to call asking his parents where he was but even they didn't have a clue.

Steve scoffed, as the car doors shut from tommy and carols side, Steve glanced over at her once more, "it's your freak waiting for you in the janitors closet Margaret." He closed the driver seat door and turned on the engine. The sound of laughs echoed her throbbing mind as she let tears fall from her eyes.

His car drove off, leaving his ex girlfriend at the high school parking lot completely broken hearted. She watched the car halt at the exit and later zoom off in the opposite direction they used to head. Margaret kicked the rocks that sat around and made her way to the library. Her books swaying at her side, she opened the door and ran straight into Jonathan.

"Sorry" he quickly said after realizing it was his tutor, she shook her head and tucked the strand of hair that fell. "Oh, it's you. For a second I thought you ditched me." He awkwardly chuckled. She looked up at him and slowly nodded, while she pressed her lips together without any energy.

"So," she began attempting to hide her devastation from the parking lot "you wanna continue?" She raised her eyebrows.

Jonathan nodded and the two walked into the library taking a seat at one of the tables. He attempted a few problems before taking her out of a trance.

(୨୧ᵕ̤ᴗᵕ̤)

I decided to change the book! Start over because I'll be updating hopefully pretty frequently. I hope you all have a wonderful vacation and stream Stranger Things season 3 on Netflix. This going to contain spoilers so <3

- m.