Chapter Twenty-Eight

As I woke up, I felt disappointed. My hand instantly went to my stomach at feeling the loss of my baby. As, not even twenty-four hours ago, we were told that, I was pregnant and now our baby is dead. Feeling totally crushed broken and empty inside, my mind began to wonder, as visions of Damon’s unconscious injured body flashed before me.

For the first time since I had woken up, I started taking in my surrounding’s. Realising I was in hospital I felt a little relieved. As I was finally far away from the car and that boulder that had nearly taken our lives, I thought to myself.  Leaning over to the side table, I pressed the nurses call button and within seconds, a little old nurse walked into my room.

”Hello Dear,” she greeted me, while giving me a warming smile. Hoping my voice would not fail me, I asked the question that I have been dying to ask but also fearing.  “Do you know where Damon is?” she looked at me with so much sadness that I automatically started thinking the worst. She glanced down at my clipboard and then back up at me. “Sheena, he has a bad case of concussion and a few deep cuts but nothing too life threatening” she replied, but before she could even say anything else I cut her off. “Please take me to see him?” I asked, feeling relieved and excited knowing that he was alive.

 She studied me for a while before she left out a big breath “Ok, but only for a few minutes, other wise you will have me sacked” She told me. “Thank you” I replied, giving her a grateful smile, as excitement bubbled up inside of me.

 Helping me out of the bed, the nurse placed me into a wheel chair that she had already gotten for me. So many emotions where running through my head, as she started to push me out of the room. However, knowing Damon was alive had me on such a high, that no one or nothing could take this happiness away from me.

 As we turned a corner, seeing Cherelle, Lee, and Alisha standing there talking brought a sick feeling to the pit of my stomach, as I wasn’t ready to face any of them yet, I thought to myself. Nevertheless, I swallowed down the sick feeling, as I needed to see Damon. Even if facing those means seeing Damon, then facing them I will. I told myself sternly.

The nurse stopped out side Damon’s room,  as she opened the door she went and put a wedge under it to hold it open. Keeping my eyes on my lap, I began playing with my hands nervously, as I was dreading the look  that I knew, that on their faces. I felt a hand giving my shoulder a light squeeze before the nurse was back and pushing me into the room.

Seeing Damon sitting up in the bed wide-awake calmed me. Our eyes locked, and seeing his eyes all red and puffy, I knew someone had told him. My eyes began to water as the reality of the loss of our baby really started to sink in.  Damon almost leaped out of the bed, at the same time as I tried to get up, his arms wrapped around me as he hugged me like never before. Hugging him back, we both started to cry; it was like a part of us was missing and we were both desperately trying to get it back.

 I don’t know how long we stayed like that for, but my legs were starting to give way. Damon managed to lift me onto his bed, and I could tell he was struggling, as he was wobbling a little bit.

 As we, both laid down in his bed, we wrapped our bodies as close together as we possibly could. We just laid like that for ages, taking as much comfort as we could from each other.  

Even though we had not said one word to each other, it was perfect, as much as I thought of our loss; I just did not want to have to say it aloud. As I knew by saying aloud I was actually accepting it, and I was no way ready for that yet and I could see that Damon was feeling the same.