Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I don't know how long I was out for, but when I came around, I was happy to see the same nurse from earlier sitting beside me. She was not in her nurse's uniform, which made me wonder what she was still doing here, if her shift had ended already. Then as if she knew exactly what I was thinking, "HI sleepy head" she said giggling," I couldn't leave until I knew you were alright" she said with so much concern in her voice, I started to cry again. "Thank you, I am sorry for crying, but nobody has ever worried about me like this before" I said as my heart warmed up from her words. "oh hunny, you have been through a lot and I was so worried about you" I could tell she meant every single word.

As much as I did not want to stay in hospital, I didn't want to go back on the streets yet either. "Hmm, when do I have to leave?" I asked even though I was dreading her answer." Well not tonight anyway" she replied with a smile. I smiled back, thinking to myself; at least I will be safe and warm tonight. "Can I ask you to do something for me please?"; "Of course you can what is it?" Can you ring my school but don't tell them what has happened, could you just tell them I am sick, and should be back within the next couple of days please." She looked at me with so much sadness. I just smiled as I tried to reassure her that I was fine." Ok, give me the schools phone number, and I will call them first thing in the morning" she replied as she started taking down the schools number. "Well I have to go now or otherwise my boyfriend will have a search party out for me," she said giggling. "Take care, and I hope I will see you again but not in here" I replied laughing. "Oh and thank you so much for everything" I told her sincerely. She shocked me by leaning down and giving me a hug and kissing me on the forehead before leaving. "Bye Sheena, take care of yourself you hear, oh and my name is Cherelle," she said as she walked out the door.

I just laid there, feeling so over whelmed and shocked, by what Cherelle had said to me, and then the way she hugged as well. I felt a tear run down my cheek, hating the feeling of her leaving, and knowing that I might never see her again. I cried into my pillow until I fell to sleep.

After signing paper work to release me, a nurse came in with a bag and a note for me.

Dear Sheena,

I thought these might help you out for now, well at least until you manage to get your own things. I hope everything goes well for you, keep your head up and stay strong hunny. By the way, there is a little present in the bag for you as well. However, before you look you have to promise me that you will keep it only for emergencies.

All my Love

Cherelle xxx

I emptied the contents of the bag out onto the bed as I started to cry, going through all the things Cherelle had given me. There was a change of clothes, toiletries and even a mobile phone. I was glad to see she had added her cell number; I was now crying and smiling, as I felt so lucky to have met someone who actually cared. After having a shower and changing into the clothes that Cherelle had given me, I wrote a quick note to Cherelle, thanking her for everything. After handing it in at the nurses' station, I made my way out of the hospital.

I felt scared as I walked down the footpath towards the café where I worked, as my shift was due to start in an hour. I kept looking over my shoulder nervously the whole time, my palms were all sweaty, and my heart was beating so fast, where I was so frightened. Sheena stop this, you're stronger than this, I repeatedly, told myself sternly, until I reach the café.

I walked straight through the shop, out to the back where I changed into my uniform; I bumped into the manager Chris. He is nice to me, but very strict, and I knew he was going to have a go at me for missing last night's shift. I waited for him to say something but he never did. I made my way out front and started clearing the tables, when a group of boys came in. My heart began to beat so fast, I felt like I was going to pass out and my legs felt like jelly, I felt a strong arm go around my waist. I was just about to scream and fight whoever it was off me. When I noticed it was just Chris. He just looked at me with a worried expression; he then raised his hand to my face making me flinch away. His worried looked quickly turned to one of concerned as I flinched away. After a minute he wiped the tears off my cheeks, I didn't even realise I was crying until then. He sat me down in the kitchen while handing me a strong mug of coffee. "Thank you Chris, I am sorry it won't happen again," I quickly told him, worrying encase I lose my job. He just gave me a small smile before he walked back to the counter.

After my shift had ended, I began to panic, as I knew I was too late to get a place at the shelter tonight. I cleared up with Chris as I thought it would be safer staying here as late as possible than walking around the streets. I finally left the café at midnight and made my way to the train station, as I needed some more clothes. I decided I would try to hide out in the toilets tonight. I knew it would be smelly but at least it would be safe I thought to myself.

Three months had passed since that night and everything is slowly getting better I haven't been back to the park though. I rather sleep in front of shops now, where I can be seen. Nevertheless, the only downfall to that was, I always worried encase someone from school would notice me.

It was Thursday, and today was my first summer exam, I have been studying so hard, as I really needed to get a scholarship, and otherwise I had no chance of getting off the streets. Knowing I only had one chance, and there was no way I was going to muck this up, I thought to myself.

School ended quicker than ever today which I was pleased for, and I had no run inns with the cheerleaders, which made me even happier. Although tonight was going to be a long night, as Chris has given me over time. Saying that, ever since the day when I came out of hospital, he seems to be giving me more hours. This has been a blessing, as I nearly have enough for a deposit for a place of my own now. I have worked it out by the end of this semester I should have plenty to start me off, but only if Chris keeps given me the extra hours.

When my shift ended, Chris handed me a hot mug of hot chocolate. We sat down at one of the tables and chatted for a while. It was nice having someone to talk to even if I couldn't tell him everything. As soon as I left, I could see Chris locking up. Every night he would ask if I would like a lift home, and every night I would have to come up with another excuse. Therefore, I began running as I really didn't want to have to come up with another. I hated lying to him especially when he has been nothing but nice to me, but I did not want to risk losing my job.

Hope you enjoyed

Please vote comment fan