Prologue

"Jess, are you ready?" I heard my roommate's voice down the hall scream.

She didn't say it harshly. Probably because she knew I would snap if she were to yell or scream at me at a time like this.

It was a somber but persistent question. She didn't want us to be late. And I appreciated her worry. But a part of me, wished she didn't remind me. A part of me actually wanted to be late.

Scratch that, I just didn't want to go at all.

The question sort of echoed in my mind. Am I ready? That was a tough question. A question that was so vague, that it could be answered with both a yes, and a no.

Yes, I am ready to go to the car, and drive to the funeral home in the pouring rain that hadn't stopped since the day I got the horrible news.

But no, I am not ready to say goodbye to my sister. I am not ready to see people, and engage in memories and funny stories of her, in good humor. To try and forget the fact that I can never talk to her again.

And lastly, I'm not ready to pretend like I'm going to be okay after all of this. After I get home from the funeral home and start my grieving process.

I hadn't ever had to do this before. I've never needed to grieve over a loss as big as this.

Yes, I did in fact lose my parents. But I was so young, that I didn't even know what had happened. I was never told that they died. I was just told that they went far away.

I always had it in my head, that it was a vacation. An extended vacation, was what my grandparents called it. To somewhere far away, where there is no pain or suffering. The thought always made my mind at ease when I was so young and naïve. I didn't ever worry about them. Or question their whereabouts too much.

Until I was old enough, and my grandparents told me and my sister what had actually happened.

Turns out, vehicular accidents run in the family.

But, considering the fact that I didn't even know my parents all that well, grieving wasn't difficult.

The more difficult part for me to get over, was the fact that I was too dumb to realize that my parents were dead all those years. I was too blinded to know. And too young to care where they were all of those years.

The majority of my childhood was completed without them. My caregivers, were my grandparents. And when they died, I had my sister to grieve with me. We chose to stick together and begin a life without them, with each other. I always had her. And with her, grieving was easier, because I knew I wasn't alone.

Now, I have no one. So how do I grieve? How do I get through this with no one?

She's my sister. Is it grieving, or should it just be called, suffering.

My sister was my best friend. I know people just say that to sound like they actually cared about someone that they never really knew too well. "Oh, she was my best friend. I'm so sad she is no longer here with us. Only the good die young." It's an over-used way of saying, I didn't know the person all that well, but it sucks they are dead.

It's different in my case. She was literally my, person. My go-to for anything and everything I needed.

Whether it be someone to be there for me when I wanted to cry. Or just someone to talk to about silly little things with.

I could talk to her about anything in the world and she'd help me through whatever I needed. And I never laughed as much as I did when I was with her.

My other half was taken away from me. By some stupid, drunk driver with no priorities. No people to miss. No one they had to say goodbye to on a rainy day at a funeral home.