Life As It Should Be (The Last Chapter)

One Month Later

Samaar 

"But... I don't know where you put it. I'm not some sort of magician. You're going to have to rely on that fantastic memory of yours." I said to Sheath quietly. 

"Forget about my memory, help me find it!" 

"Oh brother... and I thought I never had children in this house. My husband's a child himself." I muttered to myself. 

"I heard that!" 

"I'm glad you did, love!" I shouted back to him, as I rummaged through the clothes he threw from the closet. Sheath was in the living room looking for his car keys. Usually he'd leave it on the dresser after he'd come home but somehow he didn't find it there and now somehow it's my fault. It was only a matter of a couple days until he was shipped off to Syria. It was horrible. We don't even know if he's going to be back when the baby's born. We decided on this a week ago. I'd rather have him go save lives in Syria and help the Muslims back there then stay here and raise our first baby. It is a big thing for us... but even if I'm a little scared, I have Allah with me and Allah will protect me through all the hardships I'm going to be facing. 

The phone rang in the living room and I waited for Sheath to answer it but it kept ringing. I went to answer it and I saw Sheath angrily picking it up. 

"Hello?" He said. Then his voice softened. "Assalamualaykum. What's up Subhee?" Sheath asked. Oh... he hasn't called in a long time. 

Sheath

"Waalaykumasalaam Sheath. There's something I wanted to tell you."

"Go on."

"Are you late for work or something?" Subhee asked. I stared at Samaar who was listening to every word I was saying. 

"Work can wait. Is anything wrong?" I asked, smiling at Samaar who rolled her eyes at me. 

"Yeah, everything's wrong. Our mother... just passed away." Samaar was still staring at me waiting to explain what was happening. 

Samaar

Sheath's face was turning pale. There's something wrong. I went closer to him and he kept nodding to everything Subhee was saying without opening his mouth. "Yeah, okay. Assalamualaykum." 

"What's wrong?" I asked instantly. 

"We're going back to Canada right this instant."

"Okay... mind telling me why though?" I asked. 

"Just pack up. I have to call work."

"Okay, I'll tell school then. But again, tell me the reason, Sheath." I said seriously.

"You'll find out soon."...Is all he said.

In an hour we were all ready to go. For what reason, I don't know. But he didn't smile even once. Is there something wrong with his mother? We just visited her this weekend. Before leaving the house I turned to Sheath and asked him about his mother. 

"Tell me what Subhee told you." I commanded. 

"I told you, you'll..." 

"NO! I don't want to see. I want to know!" I yelled. He flinched, then leaned against the wall. His depression showed clearly. I flipped my niqaab up and stared at him. "Go on." I said sternly. I was a teacher after all, so I might have been a little strict...

"She's gone. She's having her funeral today and we need to get there." He said in a dry voice. Sometimes I don't get men. Tears started pouring out instantly.