Stop Staring

Subhee was walking around the house, looking for something to do. He was no longer wearing his piercings and his hair was cut a little shorter and smarter. Samaar and Aakifah were dressing Sarah up. Even after crying a whole bucket of tears, they couldn't get Sarah to keep quiet. Sheath's mom knocked on the door and came in.

"Do you guys need some help with Sarah?" Sheath's mom asked. Samaar nodded, and Aakifah handed Sarah to Sheath's mom.

Sarah instantly became quiet and soon she was asleep in the living room in Samaar's lap. Samaar kept watch of her, and looked out of the corner of her eyes to find Subhee straightened up. She was shocked. But that wasn't it, he was talking to Aakifah in the hallway. What are they talking about? Samaar thought. 

 Samaar's POV

Well I guess I should ask Aakifah some day. I lifted Sarah up, and took her into my arms. I'll put her asleep upstairs. I was almost to the stairs when I ran into Sheath. I backed away from Sheath with my eyes directly on Sarah. Please don't tell me she's awake.... Please don't tell me she's awake!

And that's when it happened her startled fragile little body awoke and she cried like no tomorrow. I stood their tired, and decided I wouldn't even try putting her back to sleep.

My task was to handle a small baby... a SMALL baby, and I couldn't even handle her. I looked up at Sheath. He was a little startled as he hesitantly took reached for Sarah.

"Sorry..." He whispered. He took Sarah, and started walking up the stair. She cried and cried as I followed him. Sheath and me entered my parents room where Sarah slept with them. There were a bunch of stuffed animals laying around. She was only about a few months, but she had a billion  toys. 

"Sarah, mom loves you so much she brought you a billion toys but all you ever do is cry." My parents never brought me and Aakifah any toys because they were very stingy I guess. 

"She doesn't even know what goes on, you can't blame her." Sheath said, lying her down on her blanket on the ground. He sat down right next to her, and I sat down on the bed. She was still crying. 

"Yeah I know. She can't even get used to her own two older sisters, but she can get used to your mom in a second. That's so unfair. I'll never ever have kids!" I shuddered and realized what I said to Sheath. What the hell? 

"That's cuz you're acting like a kid. Obviously you think like that."

"Excuse me!" I said with an attitude and turned to Sarah. Sheath got up and found Sarah's pacifier. He went to the bathroom and washed it. He came back out, and it almost seemed as if Sarah snatched the pacifier from Sheath. Sheath laughed and Sarah was closing her eyes again.  "Hey... did our family ever meet when we were young?" I asked Sheath. He didn't turn to me and kept his focus on Sarah.

"Yeah.. A lot." He answered quietly. "You don't remember?" He asked.

"Nope." I answered

"I was nine years old back then and our families went to a cottage in the summer. You should be able to remember us. Unless your memory sucks to the max." He smirked.

"Heh! You sure know how to talk to a girl. If it was that cottage... I remember meeting a family over their... but you weren't there." I said finally. 

"It's only natural you wouldn't remember seeing me there since you cried every time you saw me."

"Hey! I wasn't a crybaby."

"You were. I knew it better than anyone else."

"Right! I believe you."

"Your red shoes..." 

"My red shoes? Oh you mean the pair that I lost after throwing it at someone's face?" I said proudly.

"Yeah. MY face." He said. I paused, then laughed.

"You're lying. That wasn't you." I said laughing. "But you were shorter than me!" I said, still laughing. Sarah was in deep sleep and she was smiling. Sheath stood up right in front of me.

"And now I'm tall." Sheath smirked at me again. Ugh... He was right. I stood up on the bed right in front of him. 

"Says who?" 

"You cheater." 

"I wouldn't lose to a weirdo like you so don't you worry."  I said, standing tall and feeling high and mighty.

"Samaar, Sheath and Subhee! Get down here this instant! They're at the door!" The guest were here. Sheath picked Sarah up, and I got down from the bed. He put Sarah into the center of the King size bed. He took her pacifier out of her mouth and put it on the bed side.He looked a little like a... grown up. A parent actually. Maybe he is right. I should grow up... 

On the way downstairs with Sheath behind me, I bumped into Aakifah. Aakifah looked from me to Sheath and back to me. "Where you you guys??" She asked, suspecting something.

"With Sarah." I said. 

Sheath said salaam to Aakifah and went  on ahead of us. 

It was a barbecue party with a lot of families. At least five families. My dad and Uncle knew all of them. All the males were outside and all the females were inside. It was past ten at night and past my curfew. My sleep. I need my sleep.

"Mom, I'm sleepy." I said, tugging onto her clothes. 

"Samaar. It's a Friday. I'm giving you permission to sleep till late. There's still some guests here." My mom whispered. My aunt came to me and asked me what's wrong.

"I feel a little sleepy." I said, too tired to think.

"Then go upstairs and sleep." Thank you auntie. Thank you... 

"Okay than check for Sarah on your way over there. She's been asleep this whole time."

"Okay." I said, walking upstairs.

I opened the door to my parents room, and lazily went up to Sarah. She was awake, and she was laughing and smiling. 

Babies are truly.... mysterious.

"How in the world are you laughing?" I said, smiling. I sat down on the bed next to her. "Wait... Something's not right..." I said, looking at the other side of the bed. Suddenly Sheath and Subhee sprang up from under the right side of the bed, and I jumped back and almost off the bed. 

"Boo!" Subhee said.

Sheath laughed. I looked at Sarah who was staring at Subhee and Sheath. She was smiling again.

"Oh, so you love monsters better than your own two sisters right?" I said, now wide awake. "Truthfully I'm sort of offended Sarah." I was looking at her. 

"Shouldn't we feel offended? We were called monsters." Subhee said. 

I took Sarah into my arms. "You are the most suspicious." I said facing Subhee. I stared down at Sarah. Aakifah was standing at the door. 

She walked towards me and saw Sarah smiling with drool on her face. "What a miracle." She said.

"Looking at you two, I'm starting to doubt whether you'll be good mothers." 

"Not getting married." I said, putting my hand up to both the brother.

"I pass on that too." Aakifah said, raising her hand with me. 

We were both looking at Sarah. 

"You are." Subhee said to me. I didn't look up.

"I pass too." Sheath said, getting up. Subhee's eyes shot wide open.

"What's wrong with you guys? Marriage is Sunnah! Are you seriously gonna run away from half your deen?" He asked in shock. "What happened to my niece and nephew Sheath??"

"I never promised you any." Sheath said. He was scratching his head as he was about to leave the room. My eyes wandered to his. He caught my gaze.

That's right, I won't get married.