To Understand The Situation [Part 2]

Samaar's POV

We didn't even reach home, and I got a call from Sheath that same night, Aakifah grinned as she walked faster to give me some privacy. 

"Assalamualaykum." I said over the phone.

"Wa-Alaykumasalaam. Where are you right now?" Sheath asked. It was cold. Not ice cold, just plain cold. But it felt like all the winter coats I had for winter to come couldn't keep me warm in this weather. 

"I'm almost home." I paused, and frowned to myself. Why would he phone? "What's wrong?" I could hear the noise in the background fading and that's when I could tell he found a quiet corner to talk in. 

"You know... you never told me you knew Afsar."

"Was it worth mentioning?" I asked. 

After a moment of hesitation he sheepishly replied, "No... Not really."

"When did you meet him?" I asked. 

"...Before he transferred to your university he was at mine. We became good friends there." I was quiet for a long ten seconds before I asked him more about Afsar.

"Was he always like that?" I asked.

"Like what?" Sheath asked.

"I don't know... quiet? I guess. He barely speaks a word at school but he suddenly asked me to be his lab partner." I stopped really quick. Why? Why was I talking about another man to the man I love? "Oh well, whatever." I brushed the thought off really quick but Sheath didn't let the topic go.

"He... asked you to be his lab partner?" He asked. His voice wasn't as smooth as it was before. 

"Yeah.., there was a shortage of girls in my class. So I was glad I didn't have to go searching around for a partner."

"In high school wouldn't you have begged the teacher to give you an independent project if you didn't get a project with a girl?" He asked. I don't even think I could tell if it was him speaking. The change in his voice was a little too much.

"I... would. But this is different. It's a lab...I don't want to risk this for anything. I feel more confident doing with a partner rather than alone. What if I died doing it alone with one of my stupid mistakes. You should know how clumsy I am. I almost dropped a flask last year... Well actually I did. But it was a miracle that it didn't break." The words sprouted out really quickly. It was as if I was trying to give an explanation for mistakes I committed... But the thing is: I don't get what I was trying to explain. Was he mad or was he just always angry. I got scared at this moment. My heart was pounding with confusion.

"Turn around." I heard him whisper. I was already stopped in the middle of the road. I realized Aakifah had already went home which was right around the corner.  

When I did, I saw Sheath. I slowly put down the phone. He did too. He started walking over. He took off his glasses and put them in his pocket as he rubbed his eyes. 

"Shouldn't you be home yet?" I couldn't speak. Or rather, I didn't know how to. I nodded, seeing that he was right in front of me. 

"I'm..." Speaking wasn't really the best thing for me when I wanted to cry. Why did I want to cry? Because I felt dizzy and depressed trying to interpret the truth of our relationship. He waited for me to continue but seeing that I couldn't he began to talk. When he smiled, my heart became heavier.

"You know... I know you're confused... And at some point, I am too." I looked down, trying to not look at Sheath. Why would he be confused? "It's pretty cold. I'll walk you home." I couldn't talk. I couldn't take the risk. I couldn't cry... not in front of him. I wanted to ask him a lot of questions. But I didn't. In fact, I just followed him quietly. "What happened to Aakifah?" I really didn't want to talk. When he looked at me, I shrugged. He got the message that I couldn't talk anymore than the gestures I was doing in reply.