[24] - I see that you're not mine

"I know my father, Delos Reyes," I said to Ezekiel as we were talking privately in his office in EDR telecom building. Last week ay nagquit na siya sa trabaho niya sa PAO. Now, he's focusing again on managing his huge empire of companies, "Hindi iyon papayag na siya lang magbabayad sa lahat ng nangyari. He'll drag anyone who wronged him. Including me."

Napahilot naman si Ezekiel sa sentido nito, "So you're implying that you're going to jail with him?"

Ako naman iyong bumuntong-hininga. Kilala ko ang ama ko. Lahat ng haharang sa daan niya ay dudurugin niya. Wala siyang pakialam kahit kamag-anak ka pa o hindi. He will do everything just to destroy that person - or even killing them.

"I don't have a choice," Napasandal na lang ako sa pader sa likod ko. My hands were now on the pockets of my slacks, "He won't surrender unless I'll suffer too. He told me he doesn't care if he's going to jail. Kahit marami na tayong sapat ebidensya para makulong siya ng tuluyan, marami pa rin siyang kanang kamay. Tutuloy ng tutuloy pa rin ang droga sa bansa. It's difficult to eradicate the drug problems in our world. It's already from the roots."

"He knows her. He saw her in the session hearing. Siya rin ang nagpabaril sa kanya sa eskwelahan noon." I told him matter-of-factly. Napatingin naman ako kay Ezekiel. He was surprised and a few seconds, his face turned into pity. Siya na lang ang mapagkakatiwalaan ko sa lahat ng tao. He knew too much shits about my life. He's the only one who knew every secret that I am hiding.

"You broke up with her?" Ezekiel suddenly asked. I just sighed.

"It's for her own good and safety. It's better for her to leave than suffer. Malaki ang pangarap niya sa buhay, Zeke. Your fiancee, Mariz, lahat ng ginagawa niya ay para makapagtapos at makabawi rito. I don't want to ruin that. I don't want to ruin her life because of me." I answered instead. Kahit masakit man sa loob ko, kailangan kong gawin kung ano ang nararapat. I don't want her to love a man who's very complicated and full of uncertainties. I don't want her to waste her life on me.

I want her to pursue her dreams and be happy... rather than staying with a man who'll just destroy her future.

"With your confession, you'll be jailed with life imprisonment or even face death penalty, Montalban. You'll be confessing you killed your mother. You'll be confessing about your involvement with your father's drug cartel, using the trust funds that came from the drug trade, falsification of documents, a lot of will be charged against you, Montalban. Even the crime of accidentally killing your mother is already heavy." Ezekiel replied to me seriously. With the new law imposed several years ago about juvenile crimes, a twelve-year-old kid can already get jailed for committing a crime as well as the death penalty for heinous crimes.

And I was fifteen when I killed my mother.

I took a deep breath.

"Maybe this is really my fate," I told him dryly and gave him a tight smile, "Please take care of her, Ezekiel. Ikaw na lang ang maaasahan ko." I added seriously

Huminga naman ito ng malalim, "Then I'll try my best to lower your consequences, Alonso Lopez."

●●●