Chapter 40 || "Are You Guys Getting High?"

Our lips collide, and my hands twitch as I instinctively want to wrap my arms around him and pull him closer. I stop myself though, knowing that if I do, my towel will fall down. Behind me, I hear Kennedy's front door open, followed by laughter and whistling. I pull away from Shawn and turn around, finding my friends gathered at the door, watching Shawn and I kiss.

"Keep it PG guys." Julia jokes.

She hands me my clothes and passes Shawn his own. I graciously accept them and step inside, heading down the hallway in search of Kennedy's bathroom. I find it and step inside, turning the light on and locking the door behind me. I drop the towel and step back into my clothes, wrapping my cardigan around me tightly and sighing at how nice it feels to be warm again. I stand in front of the mirror and fix my hair quickly before unlocking the door, turning the light off, and stepping back out into Kennedy's house.

I follow the sound of voices and music, heading into Kennedy's living room. As I walk in, I see Carson, Julia, and Ben sitting on and around the couch. Carson is sitting down while Julia is sitting sideways on his lap, running her fingers through his hair while talking to Ben. Ben is crouched down on the floor in front of the coffee table, some type of glass object in front of them. Julia happens to look up and sees me, and instantly starts waving me over.

"Helaina! Come here!" she yells, patting the spot next to her on the couch. I walk over and sit down next to her, looking at the object on the table.

"Ken, do you have another lighter? This one isn't working." Ben says. Kennedy looks up from her conversation with Mason and Evelyn and nods.

"Yeah, I'll get it." she says, standing up. She hands her cup to Evelyn and begins to stumble over to us. Beside me, Julia sighs.

"Ben, you can't have Kennedy get a lighter for you when she's drunk. She'll trip and accidentally let the entire house go up in flames." Julia says.

"No I won't! Why does everyone keep saying I'm drunk?" Kennedy asks, but seconds later, she almost loses her balance and grabs onto Ben's shoulders for support. She giggles and sits down next to him. "See, I'm fine."

"Where's the lighter?" Ben asks her.

"In my kitchen."

"I'll get it." I volunteer, standing up.

I head out of the living room and back into the kitchen. I walk over to the cabinets, pulling them open & searching until I find the lighter. Unable to see the top shelves, I look around and decide to just climb on top of Kennedy's counter, figuring that she's too drunk to care. I peer on the top shelves, moving things around until I finally find a lighter. I go to close the cabinet, when I feel a pair of large hands grab onto my waist. I scream out in surprise and I hear a laugh come from behind me.

"It's just me." Shawn laughs, and I sigh loudly.

"Holy shit Shawn, you nearly gave me a heart attack!" I yell. "Why would you come up behind me like that? I could've fallen."

"You know I wouldn't let that happen." he says, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist. He pulls me close, his head pressing into the small of my back. He rests his chin on my butt and his lips lightly kiss my back. I feel goosebumps spread across my skin and a shiver is sent down my spine. I inhale sharply and close my eyes momentarily.

"Shawn?" I call quietly.

"Mhmm?" he hums.

"Can you let me down?" I ask.

"Sure."

He lets go of me and I feel the absence of his body against mine. I frown a little, my body becoming cold with his body heat no longer radiating against mine. I turn around and carefully sits down on the edge of the counter, ready to jump down, when Shawn steps in between my legs and places a light kiss on my lips.