Chapter 30 || "Don't Touch Her"

Physics goes by begrudgingly slow. Every time I look up to check the clock, practically no time has passed from the last time I checked. When the bell finally rings and another school day comes to an end, I practically throw myself out of my seat. It's only when I'm halfway through the door that I remember that Julia drove me to school this morning, and I have no idea where she went. I have no way of getting home from school. I step out into the hallway and stand next to the door, waiting for Shawn to come out. When he does, I fall into stride beside him.

"Do you think you can drive me home?" I ask.

"Why? You can't find anyone else? There aren't any other boys for you to ask?" he snaps. I stop, looking at him in bewilderment.

"I'm sorry- what? Shawn, what are you talking about?" I ask, and he just shrugs, walking away. I chase after him, calling his name. "Don't ignore me! Shawn, what's wrong with you?"

"Whatever, just forget it." he mumbles, slowing down so that I'm next to him again.

"No, can you please just tell me what's going?" I beg.

"I said forget it, Helaina!" he screams, stopping so that I bump into him. I look to him with hurt clearly written all over my face. A few people stop and stare at us, whispering to one another about our bizarre interaction. Shawn shakes his head and walks away. I continue to chase after him.

"What is your problem?" I spit, practically running to try and keep in step with his massively-long strides.

"Do you want a ride home or not?" he asks, and the question catches me off guard.

"I don't want a ride, I need a ride. And stop changing the topic!" I yell.

"If you want to get home I would suggest you stop pissing me off more than you already have, Helena." he says, pushing open the school doors and stepping outside.

"Oh, so now we're going back to calling me Helena? Real mature, Shawn." I say with an eye roll.

"I guess you didn't hear me before. I said stop pissing me off or I'm not driving you." he repeats. I bite my lip to keep from retorting. I pull open his car door and sit down, putting on my seatbelt and crossing my arms in front of my chest. Shawn climbs in the passengers seat and starts the car, pulling away before he puts his seatbelt on. We're already past the light and he still doesn't have his seatbelt on. I squirm in my seat, debating if I should say something before an finally do.

"Put your seatbelt on." I instruct, and he shoots me a weird look.

"Aw, Helena actually cares about me. How sweet." Shawn says, the sarcastic practically dripping from his tone. I roll my eyes and sigh.

"Are you finally going to tell me why you're so angry? Last time I checked, I should be mad at you, not the other way around." I remind him.

"What reason do you possibly have for being mad at me?" he asks, and I snort.

"Besides the fact that you freaked out on me for nothing and then won't tell me what it is you're mad at?" I ask, and he nods.

"Yup, besides that." he says with a smirk,

"God, are you arrogant!" I exclaim.

"Thanks babe."

I roll my eyes again.

"Since you asked, you never texted me back. I texted you all the way before second block began, and you never answered me even though you were obviously on your phone." I tell him.

"That's your fault."

"My fault?" I laugh. "How is it my fault that you didn't answer?"

"Why don't you ask your friend." Shawn mutters, his voice so low that I can hardly make out what he says.