Chapter 5 || "Red Solo Cup In His Hand"

I pull into my driveway, turning the car off and pulling the key out of the ignition. Julia opens her door, and I do so too. I open the side door, grabbing my bag off the seat, before shutting the door behind me. I press the lock button on the keys, heading up my driveway and towards the front door. I unlock the door and step inside, Julia right behind me. We head upstairs and walk into my bedroom. Julia flops down onto my bed, immediately pulling out her phone. I shut the door behind me and walk over to my desk, sitting down on the chair there.

"Have you talked to Carson at all?" I ask, noticing her rapid typing on her phone. She sits up and nods, still looking at her phone as she types.

"Yeah, I'm talking to him right now" she replies. She types for a few more seconds, before putting her phone down and looking up at me.

"What did you guys say to each other?" I ask.

"Here, just read the messages yourself. It's quicker." Julia says, unlocking her phone before handing it to me. Her messages with Carson are open, and I scroll up to where they start.

C: I'm sorry

J: For what?

C: I acted like a complete ass to you at lunch

C: I didn't know you were stressed out about physics. Why didn't you just tell me instead of Helaina having to be the one to explain why you were so moody?

J: You don't seem sorry lol

C: I'm not doing this with you

J: Doing what?

C: Lol forget it Julia. You always do this when you're mad at me.

J: Yeah whatever.

C: See you tonight

J: K.

I wince, handing her her phone back.

"Yikes." I say, and she nods. "Sorry, I feel like I just made things worse."

"It's not your fault. We'll get over it." Julia assures me. "Anyway, let's talk about tonight. What are you going to wear?"

I shrug.

"I told you that I have no idea. I thought that's why you were coming over." I remind her.

"I am, I just didn't know if you had a basis to start with." Julia says, and I shake my head.

"Nope." I reply. Julia stands up from my bed and walks over to my closet, sliding open the door and begins to sift through. I watch as she pulls out different shirts and pants before closing the door. She folds the clothes and put them in a pile and walks over to me.

"Here, try these on." Julia says, handing me the pile of clothes in her hand. I look down at the clothes, and then back up at her.

"What goes with what?" I ask, and she shrugs.

"Whatever you want. Here, I'll turn around so you can get changed." She turns around and sits back down on my bed, facing the wall so that she can't see me. I put the clothes down and grab the first thing on top of the pile; a cropped long-sleeve gray shirt that clings to my figure, and high waisted black leggings. The leggings stop just above my belly button, leaving a few inches of my skin exposed. I yank the shirt down a little, but it goes right back up. I sigh and turn away from my mirror, facing Julia.

"Okay, you can look." I say. She turns around and looks at me, quietly studying my outfit. Her face remains neutral, making it impossible for me to guess what she's thinking. "So? What do you think?"