Chapter 17 || "Can't Keep It In Your Pants"

By the time physics rolls around, I've heard eighteen different people ask me throughout the day about Shawn and I. People I'm friendly with, people I barely know, and even people that I've never seen before in my three years at this school all come up to me and ask me the same question: "Are you and Shawn Mendes a thing?" Each time I stutter, shocked by the question, before replying with a simple no and scurrying away.

"So, are you and Shawn a thing?" Julia asks me as we walk back into the building after the bell rings, signaling the end of lunch and noting the five minutes before the last class of the day begins. I look at her in surprise, an eyebrow raised at her.

"Are you serious?" I ask, and she just shrugs.

"I mean, everyone else is asking you and I realized that I'm not even sure myself if you two are." Julia says. I roll my eyes.

"Oh come on Julia, I literally have you told you everything that's gone down between us. The only thing Shawn and I are lab partners." I reply, but I hear the uncertainty in my voice. Truth be told, I'm not even sure what we are. Is there something more to the tension that's been going on between Shawn and I, or are we really just two hormonal teenagers who happened to be put into the situation of lab partners and him being my tutor? Is this fate or just one giant, coincidence?

When we turn the corner that brings us into the science wing, I don't see Mrs. Hernandez standing outside the classroom like she normally does every day. Once we reach the classroom and step inside, I see a substitute sitting at Mrs. Hernandez desk. Beside me, Julia squeals with delight and squeezes my arm.

"Oh my God, Hernandez isn't here!" Julia squeals. The substitute looks up at us and walks over with a clipboard in hand.

"What's your names?" the substitute asks.

"Julia Flint." Julia says.

"Helaina Jefferson." I reply.

The substitute checks off our names on the attendance list.

"Do we have to do any work?" Julia asks, and the substitute laughs.

"Yes, your teacher left a lab for you all to do. Sit down in your seats and once the bell rings, I'll announce what your instructions are." the substitute says. Julia groans and walks away, heading to the seats. I watch her walk over to the desk in front of mine and plop down in it. I walk over to her and sit down in my seat.

"What are you doing sitting here?" I ask

"It's a sub; he doesn't know where we sit. Besides, I don't think he's going to write me up for sitting in a seat that isn't mine when we aren't even going to be in our seats. We'll be doing a lab all class." Julia says, and I frown.

"But what if Jason comes in and asks why you're sitting in his-" I start, but she cuts me off.

"Oh my God Helaina, loosen up. You act like a crotchety old lady, not a seventeen year old who goes to parties and gets wasted." Julia says. My cheeks burn with embarrassment and I glare at her.

"Can you not scream that? Besides, I think you're mixing me up with yourself." I snap. "You're the one who parties every single weekend and gets wasted or high."

"Or both." Julia says smugly, and I roll my eyes.

"Okay Jules, that's really something to brag about." I retort, and I watch as Julia's face contorts with anger.

"At least I'm not going to look back at my high schools years and wish I actually let loose and had fun for once, unlike you." she says.

"At least I don't have to worry about getting pregnant as a junior in high school because you and your boyfriend can't keep it in your pants!" I retaliate, and I instantly regret the words as soon as they leave my mouth. Julia's jaw drops, and without hesitation, she reaches out and slaps me across the face. My hands fly up to cup my cheek and I feel the skin throbbing under my fingers. The people around us gasp, and everyone turns their heads to see what's going on.