Chapter 52 || "What's That Supposed To Mean?"

AN: the picture is what Helaina's wearing

Time passes too quickly, my nerves growing with each minute as it ticks away. By the time 10:35 rolls around- only a mere ten minutes before Shawn's supposed to come get me-, Mom is still up, walking around the house. Dad is already fast-asleep, the sound of him snoring piercing through the wall since his bedroom is right next to mine.

The door opens, and in walks Mom. Her hair is up in a ponytail and her glasses are on, decked out in her pajamas. I pull the covers up to my chin higher, not wanting her to see any of my clothes poking out underneath. I look away from the TV and over at her.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"I'm sorry we had to be so tough with you earlier, but it's the only way. We were scared to see you acting out so suddenly and without any warning." Mom says.

"I know, and I really am sorry. I promise that it will never happen again, and if it does, you can take away my phone for a whole two months." I say.

"Two months? Helaina, we both know that you'd steal it back by then." Mom jokes. "Here, you can take your phone back for the night. I know you're probably not going to bed any time soon, so you can go on it for tonight, and tonight only. Just don't tell you dad."

Mom pulls my phone out of her robe pocket, handing it to me. I smile and thank her, my hand barely reaching out from under the covers.

"Goodnight Mom. I love you." I say.

"Goodnight Helaina, love you too." she says, leaning in and kissing me on top of my head.

"Can you turn my lights off on the way out?" I ask, and she nods.

Mom turns on her heel and walks out of my room, flipping the light switch down as she does so. The room goes dark, the only source of light now being the TV across from me. I wait a few seconds before grabbing my phone and turning it back on. It takes a minute to fully reboot, and I immediately type my passcode in. I open my messages with Shawn and begin to text him.

H: i got my phone back for tonight

H: park a street away from my house and keep your headlights OFF

H: let me know when you're there

I get a text back a minute later.

S: Snap me

H: why

S: just do it

I open my Snapchat and send Shawn a selfie with the words "i snapped you". I press send and he opens it seconds later. He replied back with a selfie and a new text.

S: I wanted to make sure that you weren't your mom

H: wtf

S: I'm leaving now

H: okay, lmk when you're here

I shut my screen off and put my phone down, quietly climbing out of bed. I turn on my fan's light, which lights the room but not enough for mom or dad to see if one of them happens to walk by my room. I walk over to my full-length mirror, studying reflection. I adjust my black skinny jeans, pulling them up a little higher since they lowered while laying down on my bed. I take my red, oversized flannel off of my waist and instead put it on over my gray crop-top, leaving a stretch of my stomach exposed. I grab the black Vans I have next to my closet and slip my feet into them.

I head over to my bed and sit down, taking my shoes and tying them up one by one. I stand back up and grab my brush, combing through my hair one more time before Shawn arrives. I set my brush down back down, and at that exact moment, I hear my phone buzz quietly on my bed. I grab it and see a new text from Shawn.