Open Me

Allison awoke and screwed up her face at the bright light beckoning her. She groaned and rolled out of bed, walking over to the window. Usually she didn't mind pattern; tradition. But this irked her. She hated doing the same thing every morning. Dragging her aching feet across the piles of books and papers. Pulling shut the stubborn curtains on her window. Being alone. Over everything, she was tired of being alone. 
         Confusing, indeed, as she'd never really minded her own company. Gave her time to reflect on herself and the rest of the world that never mattered when she was alone. Recently, however, everything for Allison was confused. Maybe I should just stop thinking... She told herself and then snickered at her own incompetence. How was thinking about thinking meant to cause anyone any solace. Tomorrow was her birthday she realized. She ran the tips of her fingers gently across the risen texture of her skin; her scars. She still hadn't told Joker about her scars. Would she ever? If they continued with their current game of quid pro quo, she might be able to figure out the one story everyone had said was impossible; his. 
         However, she fought with the implication that she would be trading hers away as well. Her moss colored eyes directed their attention to a newly-formed pile at the base of her door. She sighed and made the trek to her door, bending and returning with the miscellaneous papers. She flipped through them mindlessly until coming across one that clearly stood out. While all the other letters had been typed (bills and awards most likely), this one was hand-written. And it didn't appear the sender had used any old ink either. 
         Blood. Smeared across the letter's exterior. She quickly checked the healing wounds on her palms to ensure that the cuts hadn't simply opened and stained the crumpled envelope. Clean. Still bound. There could be no doubt that the blood had been intentional when she flipped the envelope over to reveal a crimson "open me" beside a smile. She thought, of course, about taking it to the police. That thought came and went however, as her own curiosity overtook her. She tore the letter open, heart pounding.         
         Now she was wishing for her routine to remain in check. Possibilities flooded in and out of her mind, and she cursed herself for not having a clear head. There was nothing but a simple white chain in that envelope. It stood out amongst the red. Allison recognized the necklace and quickly reached around her neck. Nothing. She realized that the only piece of jewelry she bothered to wear was missing. How could she not have noticed it until now. She must have been too busy. Too preoccupied with other nonsense. 
         She shook her head, reminding herself that it didn't matter how she didn't notice. But it did. Everything mattered. The matter of how long it had been gone. The matter of how they'd obtained it. The matter of why they'd returned it. Most importantly was who had taken it in the first place.