Disguises

She walked over to her closet after a quick shower and searched for something suitable to wear for the apparently celebratory occasion. She was surprised to see a purple cloth draped lifelessly on one of her hangers. She scrunched up her face in confusion as she took it down to further examine it. While it was remarkably beautiful, she shuttered at the knowledge that she hadn't owned anything like this. She nodded at her new assumption that the Joker's dogs, whoever they were, had snuck in and placed it there.
         She decided to simply stop questioning the Joker's motive's for the night, as her progressing thoughts were beginning to make her uncomfortable, and instead focused on slipping her arms through the lacy lavender sleeves. She slid her nude lipstick across the curves of her plump lips and added a light coat of mascara. She thought about how she had never been very big on makeup, even though she enjoyed the concept of disguise, which is all it truly was. Tonight, Allison even decided to add wings to the tips of her eyeliner. Why? Why not?
         She stood back and looked at herself in the mirror. At first glance, even she had to admit she looked nice; beautiful even. 
       But it was all a lie, and an easily spotted one at that. The dress was backless, and once she turned, the once painful reminders of every lashing she'd ever received became blaringly visible. She suddenly reverted back into the shy little girl she was when she'd earned them, and thought about canceling. 
         Allison had already called Jonathon, though, and informed him she would come. She couldn't just leave him there waiting. She couldn't call and cancel, leaving him, her only friend, disappointed and confused. After all, he'd done absolutely nothing wrong. This was Allison's dilemma and she decided to simply deal with it.
         She left the apartment thinking about makeup, dresses, and first dates; all repulsive, hypocritical disguises. Why was the Joker so shunned for wearing a mask to channel his true self, and others were embraced, admired, celebrated even when they wore theirs to hide their true selves. 
             She remembered something the Joker had said to his nemesis, Batman, when they met face-to-face.
   "When the chips are down, these.. these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."