Leave Gotham

Allison looked back into his eyes,  but they weren't at all how she remembered them. She ripped her hand away from her quivering mouth and prayed that she had regained the ability to speak during the extended silence. "So... I explain why I don't think you should come back to Arkham, not because I don't want you to, but because I'm trying to look out for you, and you insult me. Did I insult your ego, Jonathon? That was very weak of you, Jon. You chose something that you knew would make me weak, simply so you didn't appear weak yourself. It was pathetic." She whispered as her tears were brought to a halt. 
         "Quit diagnosing me." He snapped. "I'm not your patient anymore. I don't need your help." "True... But even you, the strong man that displayed such dominance just a moment ago, admit that you did need me, once. I can't tell you how happy I am that you're better, and can once again be respected as you deserve; as you've always deserved. But please, Jonny.. Don't take the job.  If not for me, do it for you. " She was certain people were looking now, but she didn't really mind in that moment. He looked caught completely off guard. 
         "I'm taking the job.--" "No. You're not." He scoffed quietly, impressed. " Listen to me. I escaped my tormentors. And now that you've escaped yours, you're just gonna go running back to them? No. You won't. If you continue with this so-called "plan" to regain your former glory, restore a little respect to the family name, you're gonna end up right back where you were. As you said; You were the leading doctor before. Before you realized that what you considered to be 'right' wasn't exactly agreed upon.  Do you honestly think that being put back in those surrounding in which you lost your mind is beneficial?
         What if you discover that you didn't lose your mind, but you found it.? It'll just be an endless cycle, and it's pathetic. Leave Gotham. Do it for you." This time, he was the one who was speechless. She could see a bit of a frustrated tear lingering in his eye before he blinked it away. "You really are mad, aren't you?" He asked, though it sound more like a statement as he chuckled lightly. There was the Jonathon she knew. She gazed at him sweetly, but sadly.  She knew he would take her advice. 
         He valued her too much. She also knew it was best for everyone, but she couldn't help but feel... Sad. He would leave, find a good job, find a good wife. Maybe even have a child, and Allison would never hear of it. He wouldn't so much leave her behind, as she would him. His eyes said everything; "I'll miss you.." "I love you.." "Thank you...". She stood up and walked over to him, kneeling down to his level. 
         "I really do love you, you know." All signs of the previous breakdown were gone, as he glided his fingers gently across her back. Her sad smile matched his and she leaned in and kissed him, for the last time. She pulled away and laughed under her breath. "Yeah... I know." She stood up, as she had to leave. If she stayed any longer, she would be a crying mess again. Jonathon looked down after calling a waiter over to get the tab for the wine. He touched his lips and chuckled, surprisingly happy. He whispered to himself, "Happy, birthday, Allison.."