I'm Sorry.

It all hit her at once. Everything. She saw, for the first time it had seemed, that she was pushed up against a wall, the Jokers lips approaching her own rapidly, and perhaps most importantly; she saw that she liked it. What she didn't see was the terrified looking guard rush towards them, weapon drawn and eyes ready to see blood. The elder man in uniform charged hastily at the, ripping the prisoner away from her and proceeding to batter him down with the nightstick. The blonde, scarred man simply crawled into the fetal position to bear the blows and laughed maniacally, the volume increasing with each blow. 
        "Don't hurt him!" Allison cried desperately. At first her shouting went unheard, as if muffled by the intensity of the situation. Once again she cried, "Don't hurt him!" as she attempted to pry the relentless old man off of the Jokers laughing, quivering form. "B-But, Miss--" The security guard began but was cut off by Allison's own explanation.  "I was talking to him!" She exclaimed, trying to be heard over the nameless man's still extreme laughter. "You remember what happened to the last guard don't you?" She said as they ran away from the shrieking figure that lie broken on the floor. Closing the gate, the guard nodded and raced up the stairs, calling back, "I'll go get help, miss Finch! Don't you worry!" He was slower than he probably perceived in his mind, as his aching bones made the run look like more of a struggle than intended. It was actually quite a funny sight. 
         Allison looked back in the cell, breathless and confused by the entire situation. She faced the now standing joker, his laughter dying down when they made eye contact. Her look of confusion morphed suddenly into one of anger. He furrowed his brows and shrugged his shoulders. "I didn't do anything! That was all you. See what happens when you just let yourself go?'' He smirked. Allison didn't find it amusing whatsoever though, and her gaze averted to the floor. 
         After a long pause, just as the tension began to become unbearable in the room, she spoke. "I can't be your doctor anymore." It echoed throughout the stone halls, though it as barely above a whisper. He approached the gate, fury in his eyes as he gripped violently onto the same bars Allison held, his fingers coiling against her own. "What do you mean you can't be my doctor? You're my doctor!" There was more silence as the Joker's fuse grew shorter. "Allison, you're my doctor! We- We can forget this whole thing ever happened! Just don't go!" She looked him in the eyes; one of the most painful things possible in that moment. 
         "I'm sorry." was whispered as a single shameful tear rolled down her cheek. She struggled to remove her fingers from out of their difficult position between the hard iron bars and 'J's' hard, leathery fingers, but he held on tightly. He pulled her fingers through the bars but let go out of surprise when 3 guards came rushing down. She quickly drew her hands back into her chest and wiped the tear that she was certain had left a stain on her porcelain cheek.
         It was silent for the first few steps Allison took, save for the rickety voice of the oldest security guard, explaining what he had seen to his peers as they strapped him down without any struggle. When Allison made it to the stairs however, and refused to look back at him, he lost all control. "Please! Allison!! Allison get back here!"  Allison paused, but dared not turn around as the voice disrupted all of her capability to think about anyone other than him. It was the most violent voice Allison had ever heard in her entire life; it was incomparable to any other. So full of hatred. So full of grief. So full of regret.