The Truth

Allison had been unknowingly holding her breath through out the entire time the Joker had been telling his story. She exhaled slowly when she was sure he'd finished. She heard her heart beat pounding in her ears relentlessly. Her eye twitched a smidge and she pursed her lips together as she struggled with deciphering the Joker's entirety.        
         She studied the small smile that began to crease to meet up with his permanent one. She studied the short, breathy sounds that exited his nose in intervals, as though he were struggling to contain his own laughter. She studied the relaxed demeanor in which his body slouched. Over the uneven beating of her heart which continued to thud endlessly throughout her, she could hear the faint shuffling of his handcuffs which restrained him to the desk  as they scuffed against the opposing metal. 
         Lastly, and most importantly perhaps, she watched as slow tears began to form at the corner of his eyes. She cleared her throat and slowly stood up, making sure to maintain eye contact the entire time. She was able to see out of her peripherals that the guard raised an eyebrow at her curiously, but she payed no mind to him. After all, she was curious herself. She suddenly broke eye contact with him and walked out of the room with no explanation. She listened in through the door.
         "Is she allowed to just do that?!" J suddenly shouted, his pitch rising and falling with distress. The guard sounded just as confused and worried as he stuttered out "I'll go see what's up.'' He got to the door and paused for a second, turning around to cast a threatening glare. "Don't move!" He shouted and turned the handle to the door, opening it. He came face to face with Allison and she quickly shut the door before he could gasp in surprise, alerting the Joker of her presence. 
         "Ms. Finch!" He started in shock. "What are you doing?" He questioned, taking deep breaths. This is the man who was hired to protect me? She asked herself in disbelief at the man's seemingly weak spirit. Easy spook. She confirmed to herself. Just muscle. Meant to scare him... Won't work. The joker can't be deterred because he has no fear factor. He's as relentless as time. She stopped her boggled mind to answer his question. "Shh" She hushed, listening through the door. "I'm figuring him out."
         She stated as though it were obvious. She made a daring peep through the glass window when she heard no noise coming through the door. She watched as he fidgeted in his seat before he began to tug at the cuffs tying him down. He groaned in frustration. She watched him as he pursed his lips and tapped his foot impatiently on the hard linoleum floor. She proceeded with her analysis of his behavior. 
         In all of the doctor's and citizens' previous experiences when that man would tell any story regarding his past, he would behave not only violently, but dramatically; putting emphasis on words he thought might be considered threatening, and waving his arms around like a wild man. But in their interaction, he was calm at first. Determined yes, but violent no. His voice wasn't shaky at all, like she'd heard about in all of the other occasions. 
         He hadn't licked his lips a single time, a nervous habit she couldn't help but notice about him. He seemed so comfortable towards the end. Then it read across his face as complete bliss. Like he wanted her to think he was lying like he had all other times prior. But with the laughter, the tears, the smile, she knew. He was the most relieved he'd possibly ever felt. This was certainly a breakthrough. 
        The Joker was telling the truth.