Monkey Boy

Briana sat at the fancy dining table and looked down at the array of food.

"I didn't know what you liked for breakfast – so I just asked for everything." Abel offered, he was drinking coffee – his plate empty. It wasn't his habit to eat breakfast. Seeing Abel at the head of the table made her heart twang uncomfortably. He looked out of place.

He'd been given a lords town residence. The place was a pretty complex with views of Hyde Park. The dining room was nicely designed. Large windowed doors flooded the room with the morning sun, warming their table laden with fruits, cold meats, pastries and cereals. Briana picked at a pastry without much appetite. Guards were in the doorway but they were in suits and were keeping mildly discreet – they'd nodded politely to her when she'd entered the room. It was like being back at Eros House. And that's the point, Briana realised. He's trying to make me feel at home.

Abel had once said that he'd close the class divide between them. Now he was able to recreate the lifestyle of a dictator's daughter for her. He'd returned her to a life of privilege. Briana frowned. "Is something wrong?" Abel asked. She glanced furtively at the guards. "Don't worry. These are my people - you can speak freely." Briana raised her brows, giving him a hard look.

"Can I?"

Abel finished his coffee.

"Yes. I trust them completely."

"Then can I apologise?" She leant toward him, lowering her voice. "About before..."

"I get why you lied to me. Kind of. I was angry..."

"But now?"

"You knew what I was doing. You read some of the material I was printing – you could've told your father. You could've stopped me. Instead, you encouraged me to go further. You're nothing like your family. I'm sorry it took me so long to see it."

Briana gave up on eating. Her stomach was a riot.

"So...what happens now?"

"Stay here – with me." Abel words made Briana's heart thud painfully. She nodded.

"Ok."

He smiled. She'd always loved his smile. He looked handsome, mild – he looked like her Abel. But part of Briana rebelled – everything was wrong. Everything with Abel was wrong. He thought she was Emily – he'd signed Richard's death warrant – he would sign Antonia's...

Victoria strode into the room.

"Queen," Abel greeted cheerfully. "You're early." Victoria smiled – charmed by his attitude.

"Briana's people called. She wants a meeting this morning – before the session starts." 

Briana bit her nails. So her grandmother had become Abel's official secretary – it must have been a natural transition. She'd been taking care of him for years. Abel got to his feet.

"Ok, ok."

"Wait," Briana entreated, "what about Dalton? Can I see him?" 

Abel's expression clouded over.

"No."

Briana got to her feet also.

"Where is he?"

"He's in the custody of Thurber Gale." Victoria answered for him, "This was agreed by the True Hearts. It was seen as a security risk for you all to be kept in the same place."