The Girl in the Mirror

Briana was racking her brain. If she jumped into another person's body – which body would Emily end up in? Would it be a straight switch between Briana and say...a guard or could the guard end up in the year 2086? Briana didn't know and she had no way to be sure. She had no idea if she even could jump into a person's body at will. But now she wanted to try. Hansel wouldn't attempt anything that jeopardized the future but Briana had no interest in a future in which Dalton got hurt. She had to save him.

Carl Crenshaw, her current guard shifted restlessly in his seat. At last, his phone beeped signalling shift change. He got up without a word and trudged to the door. He sighed irritably. No sign of his cover yet. Crenshaw stood in the doorway, swinging his arms as he looked up and down the hallway. Briana bit her lip. The next change was Aaron. If she was going to try then he was her best shot. Her other guards were like brick walls but Aaron was chatty. Perhaps she could conceivably hug him – hugging might make the jump easier...

Crenshaw straightened up, nodding in greeting – turning to face the end of the hallway. Briana heard the sound of footsteps approaching. Showtime. She felt suddenly nervous.

"Excuse me." She squeaked before retreating to the ensuite. Turning the tap on as cover, she sat down on the loo seat and took deep calming breaths. She heard Crenshaw's heavy footfalls as he charged down the stairs – making the bannisters tremble.

It was just her and Aaron. She washed her face and paused for a minute, staring at her reflection in the mirror. If she succeeded – somehow, by some miracle – then that would mean she was about to be leaving Emily's body. She stared at the girl in the mirror. Sallow cheeks, eyes too large – dry skin on her lips and creases on her brow. The last few months had been the toughest of Briana's life but they'd taken their toll on Emily. The girl wasn't as beautiful as she'd once been.

Briana put her hand up to the glass.

"Goodbye, Emily." She whispered – smiling sadly at her reflection.

Briana walked back into the room. The doorway was vacant now with no sign of Crenshaw, in fact... -her forehead creased as her gaze swept over the room- there was no sign on anyone. She heard movement from behind her too late. A hand clamped a facecloth over her mouth and nose, muffling Briana's surprised shriek.

She struggled against her attacker's tight grip. They must have been hiding behind the door – waiting for her... A sweet smell filled Briana's nostrils and her head was starting to spin. She staggered back, slamming her attacker's back into the wall. But Briana's legs were going weak and she lost her footing, her legs becoming tangled.

Her limbs felt heavy – like lead weights had been hung from her fingertips. She tried to shout out for help but around the rag, she could only manage muffled inarticulate sounds. Gradually her head lolled back and rested against her attacker's shoulder. The facecloth was removed, revealing Briana's slack expression – her lips parted in deep slumber.

Briana returned to awareness very sluggishly. Her head hurt – akin to her worst hangover – and she felt drained. Her eyelids fluttered open and she looked confusedly down at herself. She was lying comfortably – that was nice. She blinked, her expression befuddled. She was naked. She stared down for her moment, her slow, aching head taking a while to process what was happening.