So Cold

Barleysworn stepped forward. He'd removed his helmet completely and Briana was surprised by his dark hair, reseeding but still thick. She supposed the revolution would quicken the grey...

"Hand her over." He commanded sternly. 

Some of the women hissed in revulsion and one caught Dreadlocks' arm.

"We should kill her."

Dreadlocks was shoved aside and Briana yanked from her grasp. Briana wheezed, a fist having thumped her stomach – knocking the air from her lungs. She hunched over, gasping to catch her breath and the crowd cheered. Rough hands forced her to her knees and restrained her arms. She'd lost sight of Dreadlocks completely – the surging throng had swallowed her up. The wind beat Briana's hair against her back and cold mud seeped through her jeans.

"Behead her in front of them!"

"Release her!" Barleysworn barked over the storm. He signalled and the security agents raised their guns.

"No!" Briana's eyes widened in the fear. Her hair was pulled back, exposing her throat, but she fought against the hold - trying valiantly to keep Barleysworn in view. "Don't shoot!" She screamed over at him. "Lower your guns now!" Not a single gun lowered. Briana grit her teeth and yanked her hair free. "I order you to stand down! DO NOT HARM THEM!" 

Barleysworn was staring at her – flint flaring in his eyes.

"Release the girl." He commanded the mob once more.

"No one is dying because of me!" Briana shrieked. 

The crowd jostled, losing its grip on her. Briana was struck in the back of the head - immediate pain split across her skull and she put her hands out to catch herself from falling forward. A foot came upon her hand, deliberately stamping hard. Briana cried out, biting her tongue and spitting blood across the rain sodden grass.

"It's the Erebus bitch!" The cry went up and Briana joined the others in looking up at the veranda. 

Antonia was struggling against security that were trying to hold her back from the edge.

"Emily?!" Antonia called out. 

Briana's heart throbbed in her chest. Antonia was exposing herself to the mob to try and protect her daughter. Not realising I'm a complete fake. 

The crowd surged toward the veranda, braying for her blood. "Emily!" Antonia screeched, scanning for Emily amongst the packed lawn - her face pale and frightened.

Their eyes locked and guilt felt like lead in Briana's stomach. "Let my daughter go – I beg you!"

"WHORE!"

"EREBUS SLUT!" 

The screaming became a wall of incomprehensible noise. Antonia was saying something but it was completely drowned out. Then the crowd started to throw things. More security piled out onto the veranda and quickly shielded Antonia, dragging her away from danger.

Briana was trembling so bad that her body was convulsing in fear. The crowd was now hysterical. Roaring in frustration they turned on her. Briana curled into a ball, protecting her head as the women kicked her repeatedly – attacking any part of her they could find. Briana was sobbing – pain and fear had overtaken any rational part of her mind.

"Hold your fire!" A new voice commanded, barking over a megaphone. The kicking stopped and Briana held very still. 

Everything hurt – breathing hurt. She let her head slump against the grass. Her blood had mingled with the mud and rain – perhaps she'd drown in it... There was a lot of noise. Through the gap in feet, Briana got a partial view of what was happening. She saw an army – an army of civilians with red and black sashes around their arms. They had better weapons then the mob.