#everythingsfine

The Princeps had taken to inviting Briana to his study in the evenings. In these sessions, he let her read through the minutes of meetings and talked with her about the government's aims and the obstacles it was facing. She assumed this was training for the future - when she would supposedly be Princeps. As far as she could tell, current policies were undergoing a complete U-turn and chaos and confusion was leaking into the system.

But this evening was different. The Princeps had a guest, Sir Mathieu. Briana stared at him. Revolutionists would tear him to pieces – literally. His limbs dismembered whilst still alive. When she'd learnt about him - she'd felt it was an ending well deserved. He smiled at her, flashing new teeth but there was a leer behind his gaze.

"I'm grateful for your efforts in restoring the peace." The Princeps spoke stiffly. He looked out of place – though this was his office – whilst Mathieu was a cat sitting languidly at his leisure.

"A tough line – that's what's needed. We can't show weakness."

"Why did they do it?" Briana spoke up from the corner that the Princeps had assigned her. "What are their grievances?" Mathieu pulled a contemptuous expression.

"Rebels don't need a reason."

"So they don't stand for anything – didn't present any demands?" She ignored the Princeps' pointed expression. He'd told her she was here to observe. Screw that.

"It is not for people to make demands of their superiors."
"Answer the question."

"Emily." The Princeps rebuked sternly.

"Food, housing – things we work hard to pay for and they think they should get for free," Mathieu scoffed. Briana clenched her hands into fists – struggling with the rage snarling in the veins.

"They wanted food. Shelter. They want to live." The Princeps shifted uneasily in his seat. "And what's been done to help them?"

"Help them!?" Mathieu had gone purple in the face.
"Yes."

"I've dealt with the rebels."

"Dealt with – not worked with?"

"They broke the peace."

"So what did you do?" Her tone was sharp.

"I broke them." His lip twitched, briefly flashing a self-satisfied smirk before he could hide it, "we broke the arms of every tenth man. The ring leaders were names we knew of - we'd been watching them for weeks before hand." He puffed out his chest proudly, "we made an example of them."

"How?"

Sir Mathieu looked to Richard for support, "I don't think these are appropriate things to-"

"How?"

"You don't need to worry your head over-" Her nostrils flared angrily.

"Oh, but I think I do. I think the people rose up demanding food and you kicked them down. So next time they won't make demands – they'll just take it." The meat from your bones to feed their starving children. "You haven't achieved a solution."

"Those people are wild dogs-"
"And you think you've tamed them?" She shot to her feet and stood over him, "shown them who's master – yes? No. You've lost their trust."

The vein in Mathieu's forehead was pulsating.

"I sorted out the problem! I stopped the rebellion from spreading. I'VE SAVED YOU ALL! So I suggest you thank me, little girl." He was spraying spit but Briana was far too driven to recoil, "because it's thanks to me that you can sleep safely in your bed."