Abel's Fool

Victoria's sharp eyes followed Abel as he marched distractedly passed her and into his study. He paced the room, apparently on the cusp of saying something before rapidly shifting the direction of his steps. He lurched suddenly toward the window, groaned, retracted and paced some more. Getting quietly to her feet, Victoria walked around her desk and toward his study. Her heels clacked against the floorboards.

She'd come a long way from the girl Briana had first met. Before she'd looked very immature - hair tied up carelessly in a bobble with rips in her skinny jeans and green fingers from the cheap jewellery she wore. She'd been overworked but energised, running after Abel and the others – getting a front row seat of the revolution. But these last couple of months had changed her. She was successful, she was valued – gaining recognition for her loyalty and brains.

Now she dressed like an adult – conscious of the image she was projecting. Her hair was cut short and jelled neatly back. She still wore jeans but they were new, black and dressed up to make her look more formal. Her jacket was fitted, extenuating her slim waist. She looked good – modern, slightly intimidating – but men noticed. Just not the one man she wanted.

She shut the office door behind her.

"What's happened?" She asked, her tone forceful. She didn't want to keep running after Abel – she wanted to be by his side – she wanted him to recognise her as his equal. Abel looked at her, surprised to find her with him.

"Queen," he retreated to the window and gazed gloomily out at the grey day, "oh, Queen..."

"What is it?"

"I overheard Bassett and the others talking - they want to put Emily on trial. They seem to think Briana's on the verge of being persuaded."

Victoria's lips pursed.

"Maybe that's ok."

"Queen?" He turned to her, aghast at her attitude. "She's...she's..." he spluttered. Victoria raised a brow at him. Surely he knew, deep down, that this was the right thing?

"She's only sixteen." He managed lamely. Victoria rolled her eyes at him.

"Nice that you still remember that." She retorted dryly. "Abel, you and I both know that she's no child. She's old enough to take responsibility for her actions."

"But-"

"She was in a position of power. She could have made a positive difference. If she's guilty of nothing else – then she's at least guilty of doing nothing."

"But-"

"Abel, you're so blind when it comes to her." Victoria snapped irritably. His lost expression was grating on her patience. "She lied to you." She spoke slowly, as if to a small child. Abel's gaze was unwavering and Victoria ground her teeth in frustration. "Now she's just using you for her own survival."

"She's not like that." Abel protested quickly. "Back when we dated – I was nobody- I couldn't be of any use to her. Just when that was changing – she broke up with me. She could've used me then or-or she could've betrayed me and handed me over to the authorities – but she didn't. She broke up with me and has kept my secret ever since. She's not the bad person you think she is."

Victoria turned from him sharply, so he wouldn't see the mortified tears in her eyes.

"You can't tell them," she cleared her throat, hoping he hadn't detected the tremble, "– at her trial – you can't tell them about you and her."