Checkmate

Briana scrolled through the notifications on her phone. The Council of Esteemed Citizens had met (ignoring the absence of the Princeps) and after days of debate - had reached a radical decision. The third tier – that Richard had manoeuvred to have the majority - had split apart and renamed itself the The Nation's True Hearts. It had begun. Briana's hands were trembling.

"Ok, new word game." Maria was sat cross legged on the bed across from her – hell bent on cheering her up. "What three letter one syllable word becomes a three syllable word by adding only one letter?" Briana's brow creased.

"Syllable?" 

Troy snorted but tried to disguise it as a cough. Maria sighed.

"Ok, giving up on word games." She pursed her lips thoughtfully. "I learnt something interesting the other day?"

"Go for it."

"Apparently Butcher birds spear their kills on cactus spikes to store them and aid in disembowelling-"

"Let's just," Briana interrupted quickly, "watch Disney or something." Maria seemed a little deflated.

"Yeah ok."

Troy got to his feet, "I'll get some ice-cream from the kitchen." The girls thanked him as he left.

"You and Troy have made up then." Maria commented.

"Yeah." He'd forgiven her for being a bitch and she liked having him always around once more. She hated having too much time alone with her thoughts. "I'll text Dalton – see if he wants to join us."

"Isn't he just in his room?"

"Yeah - but I aint getting up."

They were half way through the film, when noises outside made them pause it. Briana rushed to the window, resting her palms against the cool glass.

"Troy?" He was by her side in an instant. "What's going on?"

"I'll find out." He hurtled out of the room and they heard him charging down the stairs. Maria took over his place and Dalton wedged between them – staring wide eyed at the front lawn below them.

"Are we going to war?" Dalton asked the older girls. 

The Princeps had summoned the army. They watched the soldiers flood onto the estate. Jeeps and trucks tore up the lawn – laden with supplies that were swiftly carried into the house. Briana recognised Sergeant Major Mantel and her stomach knotted. His face came to her memory from the page of textbook – The Coward's Call Massacre. Briana flinched at Troy re-entering the room.

"They're here as a precaution – to protect the people."

Maria frowned, "have the riots gotten worse?"

"How many?" Briana's voice had gone dry, "how many soldiers?"

"Twenty-five thousand."

"This is good, right?" Dalton spoke softly. "They're good guys." He frowned – not understanding his sister's fearful expression.

The True Hearts would never believe that the soldiers were here as a precaution. Briana ran her fingers through her hair. Abel and the others were scared – she thought about what the streets were like, what Abel had been fearing when he didn't hear from her. Fear makes people do stupid things. They'd see this as a preparation for war – for civil war.

"Where's my dad?"

"He's at the hospital."

"I need to speak with him. Now – right now."