The Slaying of the Beast

The evening before the trial and still no one had officially told them it was coming up. Antonia and Dalton settled down in their bunks – oblivious that tonight was any different to another evening. Briana sat on the ground beside Richard - her stomach twisting into uncomfortable knots.

"You're a hero," her voice was muffled – on the verge of breaking into tears. "I've never met anyone – anyone - who always does the right thing," her voice shook and she had to speak quickly to get it out, "like you do."

Richard nudged her head so that it was resting on his shoulder.

"If I'd been cruel – if I'd used violence to intimidate the people – to crush and control them – you wouldn't be sitting in a cell." He replied sadly.

"I wouldn't be leaning on you now either. You wouldn't have our love if you were like that." 

He kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you."

Richard closed his eyes – feigning sleep. He remembered the first time he'd met Antonia. They'd been children. She'd stood a head taller than him despite being the same age. Her hair had reached her waist and she'd worn it in a thick plait. He'd been a little scrawny kid, shying from the adults and wishing he'd go by unnoticed. She'd charmed everyone – confidant and precious.

"What's that medal for?" He'd asked – pointing at the gold medallion hung from a ribbon around her neck.

"Gymnastics. I have others at home for horse riding and fencing." She'd boasted proudly. He'd thought she was amazing.

"Are you going to be a gymnast – when you're older?"

She'd shrugged.

"I'm still thinking through my options. I might be a designer – I'd love to have my own clothing line. Or maybe work as a skiing instructor – just so I could ski every day. Have you been skiing – mummy and I went to the French Alps last year."

"I've never left the UK." He admitted sheepishly.

He'd felt so boring comparing himself to this beautiful and interesting girl. He tried to think of something interesting to stay.

"I like animals," he blurted out, "I think being a vet would be really good-"

"But you can't be a vet." Antonia had interrupted, shaking her head at him.

"Yes, I could." He'd argued, pouting unhappily.

"You're going to be the Princeps when you're older." She'd pointed out. "You can't be anything else."

They hadn't met again for years but the encounter had stuck with him. Shamed him. He'd determined that if he ever met that girl again he'd impress her. Richard smiled to himself – he'd been so clueless – he'd taken up chess. The way to every girl's heart – winning chess tournaments... If he'd ever asked his dad about Antonia and her mother they'd probably have been invited over – but Richard had been too proud to ask and so it had been left to chance. So their next meeting had been Antonia's engagement party...

Antonia had looked stunning. She'd been wearing a floaty dress, her long hair curled and half up – half down with flowers threaded through. He'd thought she'd looked like a beautiful fairy. Her fiancé had been tall – the tallest guy Richard had ever met. He'd smoked with Richard's dad – laughing together with the old men – fitting in with their clique. Richard had hated him.

Richard opened his eyes and looked up at Antonia's bunk. Her lips were parted, her expression untroubled in sleep. Her life would have been very different if she'd married Griffeth Sealy. She'd have been able to do any career she wanted – to travel the world freely – to raise her children and see them grow old in safety. Perhaps in another universe, she had married Sealy and she was now living with him, Nathanial, Emily and Dalton on a mountain – away from the world's troubles, skiing every day...