Prince Charming

Maria and Andy were at her parents' house - sipping lemonade on the veranda as their parents networked inside.

"You said you loved her." She couldn't look at Andy- not wanting him to see her lip quiver. He chuckled.

"So that's why you're so quiet." Maria's grip on her glass tightened. "I didn't mean it, peach." She twisted in her chair to avoid him. "Don't spoil this by being mad. I thought you understood me." He sighed. "I thought you understood me better than anyone." Maria's shoulders slumped weakly.

"I do."

"Then trust me." She looked up at him, feeling wretched. "I trust you - why can't you do the same."

"I can. I do!" She leant forward to kiss him but he pulled back - looking anxiously at the door behind them.

"Stupid - my dad's here."

"I'm sorry." She joined him in glancing furtively around them. When it was clear they were still being thoroughly ignored Andy sighed in relief.

He smiled. "It's ok, peach." He tapped her affectionately on the nose and Maria lowered her head shyly.

***

Briana worried over what to do about Andy. She didn't know when she'd be returning to her own body and her guilt about breaking up with Emily's boyfriend had lessened considerably since her suspicions that Emily didn't really like the creep anyway. If she didn't return soon then Briana could hardly continue to date a boy - it was illegal - and weird.

"Emily?" Imagining what Emily might be doing in her body -assuming they'd switched places - got her further panicked. "Emily?" She might return to find herself in a mental asylum. "Emily?" Briana broke from her thoughts to realise that everyone was looking at her.

"Huh?" The tutor's expression was expectant. "Sorry, can you repeat the question?" She asked sheepishly. He appeared disappointed and then puzzled when she shortly guessed the wrong answer.  

Unable to avoid it anymore, she hung back when the others filed out for lunch. Troy must have read her intention on her face because he waited for her outside the door - giving them some privacy.

"Is there someone else?" Andy asked once they were alone. She shook her head.

"I promise - there isn't. It's just-"

"You've changed your mind and don't like me anymore?" She bit her lip. Sorry Emily.

"I'm sorry."

"Damn it Emily!" She flinched - taken aback by his sudden outburst. "We're perfect together. My father is the richest man in the country." Briana pulled a face. "I can help you in the future."

"The future?"

"When you're the Princeps." Briana stared at him, lips parted in surprise. The title was passed through the family like the ancient monarchs. Briana hadn't thought about it - since she knew that Richard Erebus was the last Princeps - but Emily was his heir.

Taking advantage of her silence - Andy seized her face and crashed his lips against her. Briana struggled against him, colliding against the desk as the force of his onslaught knocked her off balance. Suddenly they were pulled apart and Briana watched as Troy slammed his fist into Andy's face. The boy cried out at the sight of his blood dribbling down his face.

"Are you alright?" Troy asked her, his quick eyes scanning her in concern.

"How dare you!" Andy seethed - his face was flushed ugly scarlet. "You'll pay for this! I'll tell my father-"