Lion Cubs

"Me?!" Briana's eyes widened in alarm. "Surely, I don't need to go. I'll get in the way." Antonia did not look impressed by her attitude.

"We need to show a united front." She reminded her sternly. "And I'm sure your father would appreciate the support."

"But-"

"Enough, Emily." Antonia snapped.

Briana looked down at the outfit they'd picked out for her. A smart dress and jacket – suitable office attire except that it was white with rosy hints in the thread and buttons. She supposed there was a message there – that she was something innocent and hopeful for the future. It would also make her stand out. She bit her lip. Today, the Princeps was opening the Council of Esteemed Citizens. She'd been so excited about this. She didn't remember it from history lessons (not that she'd paid the best attention). But maybe this was something new and Abel would be attending. He'd see that the Princeps was trying to make things right. Her bright wishes had seemed tangible but now panic was setting in.

"I don't feel well." She protested, clutching her stomach. Antonia made a sound of exasperation. "No, really!" She could stick her fingers down her throat – try to make herself sick...

"You're going, Emily." Antonia steered her over to the bed - where her suit was laid out for her. Abel would be there. How could he miss her if she was standing right next to Richard as he gave the opening speech? She twisted in Antonia's grip and clutched her arm.

"Mum, please-"

"What has gotten into you?" Her nostrils were flared angrily, "You've changed – it's like you're a different person." A stranger in fact – ruining the relationship between mother and daughter. Briana hung her head guiltily. "Everyone is fighting us. Everyone. Your father and I don't want to fight you too."

"I know," she mumbled. Guilt felt heavy in her stomach. This family was heading for hell – she didn't want to add to the hurts they'd be facing.

She was quiet as she changed. Perhaps Abel wouldn't see her. It wasn't like she was the point of interest to anyone. He'd be focused on the Princeps. She might get away with this. The suit was a little snug. All the fast food she ate with Abel wasn't helping her figure. She mentally apologised to Emily and then shook her head. Of all the wrongs she'd done the girl - weight gain was pretty low on the list.

Waiting for her in the hall was Nathanial. He was dressed in a suit with a solemn expression.

"Are you coming too?" He nodded. "And Dalton?"

"He's too young." Nathanial twisted away from her – staring interestedly at his cuffs. Briana wondered if he was upset with her – perhaps he'd noticed her preference for his younger brother – the loud, chatty one.

"How have you been?" She asked with forced cheeriness. Nathanial shrugged. She'd seen Dalton succeed in breaking Nathanial's reserve but even then it was only by bickering with him.

Troy and Xander approached them. Xander smiled charmingly and asked how they both were. He was a relief in the car journeys to Eros House these days – providing small talk to mask the awkwardness. Troy looked stern – more so than usual. There was noise and bustle as more security headed their way and Troy inclined his head, speaking softly for just her.

"Stay close."

The Princeps and Nathaniel were in the black car ahead whilst she was in her usual car beside Troy. They moved slowly – the lights from policemen on motorbikes flashing in the mirror. Briana bit her lip. Would Abel see her? She tried to think what would happen if he did. He wouldn't be able to make a scene at the Council – surely... She imagined him leaping at her through a crowd of people - demanding to know why she'd lied to him. Her stomach twisted unpleasantly in revolt.