Scarlet Dawn

The True Hearts didn't know what to do with them. London had erupted into black and red, the air was charged with excitement and a fierce frenetic energy. Change. This was the time for the commonest of people to dream and strive and achieve the grandest things. Somewhere out there Abel Farshadow, Thurber Gale and Briana Snowe (Briana's namesake) were rising as leaders of the people. Famous poet Paulo Romano would be inspired and write the epic masterpiece Scarlet upon Night. The progressive vibrant future was taking shape. The future that Briana had wanted to protect was breaking with the dawn.

Briana started up at the clock on the mantle, despondently watching the hands tick by. Three days. Three days since they'd been taken into custody and nothing had happened.

"Hello, can I get passed please?" Dalton spoke politely to one of their stony face guards. Antonia and Briana had drilled into him the importance of being kind to everyone – especially the people 'protecting' them. The guard said nothing in return, turning up his nose contemptuously. They were surrounded by people who hated them.

Briana opened her arms for Dalton to run quickly into.

"Where's mum and dad?" She asked softly, stroking his head. Dalton scuffed his left shoe against his right – peeling back the sole.

"Dad won't get out of bed." 

Briana sighed. She suspected that the Princeps was suffering a mental break. He'd been alone in front of the True Hearts to hear their fate -currently 'guests' of the Assembly - and had endured their cruel gloating.

She chewed her lip. Reading the history books, she'd thought that the Princeps had been unrepentant, refusing to accept that his dictatorship was over – now she knew the truth was more complicated than that. He was under immense pressure and ultimately being set up to fail. The people didn't want him to be the hero to grant them freedom – they wanted to defeat him. For good to triumph over evil.

"Don't worry Dalton," she tried to smile reassuringly, "dad just needs some rest. He'll be better soon." 

They heard the outer doors open abruptly and heavy footsteps marching across the tiles. Briana had only enough time to push Dalton behind her before the second set of double doors swung open and their intruder was upon them. Briana gasped, her eyes locking with Abel's. He wasn't alone. Briana eyed the official looking group warily.

"You look better." Abel spoke first - his tone stiff. Briana nodded.

"Yes. I am," her head was a mess. She'd been waiting for something to happen, for someone to come for them but now that it had - she wasn't ready. "Thank you."

"We're here for the Princeps." 

Briana swallowed nervously. It wasn't time yet – they didn't mean... that.

"My dad isn't well." They scowled disapprovingly at her. "But I will go with you."

"You?" The speaker's expression was dismissive.

"I can represent my family."

"Your parents-"

"My dad hasn't spoken, hasn't gotten out of bed these last couple of days. I'm his heir. I can speak with his voice." She addressed this to Abel. "Will I do?" She didn't recognise these people with him – they weren't going to be the greats.

Abel nodded, turning on his heel.

"Come with us."

"Emily," Dalton whined softly tugging on her shirt

"It's ok." She soothed. "I'll be back. Get mum to eat something and try to keep dad distracted and stop his mind from dwelling, yeah?" Dalton hugged her tightly around the middle.