Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

~FRANK'S POV~

Everything was going just as I had planned. Holly didn't know it, but I had made a few calls to the adoption agency, and they finally agreed to let us adopt Holly's brother's son. My palms were sweaty as we sat in the bust New York traffic. This is what Holly wanted right? I know how much she had wanted to adopt Zachary, and after convincing the agency that we were fit parents, they said that we could pick him up today.

"Frank... where are we going?" pressed Holly.

"Calm down," I chuckled. "Where almost there." A moment later I pulled into a parking stop right in front of the adoption agency. Holly looked at me with wide eyes and grinned. 

"Wha-what are we doing here?" she asked excitedly.

"You'll see.." I replied. I held the door open for her and we walked inside. A friendly voice came from the left of us, and I recognized it as the voice of the man I had spoken with on the phone earlier. 

"Ah hello, You must be Frank and Holly, yes?" he asked. Holly and I both nodded our heads. "Well come right this way. Zachary is eager to meet you." Holly smiled at the sound of Zachary's name. I held tightly onto her hand and she looked up at me. 

"Frank... how did you..You...Is this really happening?" she stuttred. 

"Holly, I love you, and I want you to be happy like you deserve to be. I arranged for us to adopt Zachary because...well, I'll do anything to make you happy." 

She just stared at me in disbelief for a moment as the man led us through a couple of hallways. 

"Frank, you have no idea how much this means to me..." she said wiping a tear from her eye. 

"Don't cry yet! We haven't even met Zachary yet!" I whispered nudging her playfully. She swatted me away and giggled. 

"Sorry. I'm a girl, and I have emotions." she said with sarcasm. I laughed.

The man stopped at a door and pulled out a key to unlock it. The door opened and we followed him inside. It was a fairly small room. There were four chairs up against the wall. In one of them sat Zachary. He was a short little fellow, well I had expected him to be short considering he's not even a year old yet. He had dark brown hair just like Holly's and eyes to match. He held a pacifier in his mouth and a little toy car in his hands. Zachary glanced up at us as we walked through the door. He didn't smile, but hey, he was a baby. Do babies even know how to smile? I cursed at myself for wondering something so stupid. Of course babies smile. 

"Well," the man said addressing Zachary, "This is your new mommy and daddy." Zachary just stared at the man who was crouched in front of him. I wonder if he could even understand what he was saying. Holly had tears in her eyes again as she took the seat next to Zachary, then I sat next to her. 

"Can, can I pick him up?" she asked the man. 

"Oh yes, of course!" he replied. She reached her arms out and wrapped them around his little torso. As she brought him into her lap I saw the hint of a smile on his lips. She turned to me and smiled.

"Do you want to hold him?" she asked me. I nodded my head as she passed the little boy into my arms. He was still and stared up at my eyes as I looked down at him. The corner of my lips curled into a smile, and everyone in the room fell silent. He squirmed around in my arms for moment and then his little hand reached up to my face. He put his hand on my chin and left it there while he examined my five o'clock shadow with his tiny fingers. I chuckled and Holly beamed a smile at the two of us. 

My phone began to ring in my pocket which made Zachary stir in my arms and he seemed startled. I pulled out my phone and looked at the caller I.D. It was Mikey so I answered as I handed the baby back into Holly's arms. 

"Hey, Mikey wh-"

"Gerard is in the hospital. They're not sure if he's gunna make it..." he said frantically. 

"What?!" I said, not wanting to believe what I had just heard. 

"He overdosed on pills, and they're getting his stomach pumped right now...you should get here as soon as possible. He might not be..." Mikey hesitated. "he might not be with us for much longer."  

~~~~~

well this is sorta shot, but the next chapter will be better ^_^