Dive, Duck, & Dodge

Hello everyone!:)

As always thank you for taking the time to read. You guys are the best:D

Please vote and comment. Also I'm extending that returning all fans thing until chapter 9 since this chapter came quicker than I had anticipated...

Awesome people are about to read the newest installment(UNEDITED) Enjoy!:D

Chapter Eight: Dive, Duck, & Dodge.

I went to my locker and put in a few books, then got ready for my first class: P.E.

On my way to the gym, I was approached by nurse Collins.

"Hello, James!" he said welcomingly.

"Hey nurse Collins, what's up? Is something wrong with Neil?" I asked fearfully.

"No, no, nothing's wrong with him. He went to the doctor's office yesterday and had an X-Ray done on his foot. There is a minor fracture, nothing to worry about. He just has to stay off it for a couple of days, hence his absence today."

"That's good. Thanks!" I said relieved. "Well, I have to get to class so...bye," I said, then went to the gym.

"James?" called nurse Collins.

I turned around. "Yeh?"

"How exactly did Neil's foot get injured?" asked nurse Collins suspitiously.

I stopped for a second. Should I tell him the truth? Neil would kill me if I did. Plus, I promised him that I wouldn't say anything...

"What did he tell you?" I asked innocently.

"He said he was in the weight room and dropped a dumbell on his foot."

"That's exactly what happened!" I lied.

"See, I find that hard to believe considering I've been here for 6 years and have never seen him go to the gym." said nurse Collins, one of his eyebrows raised.

"It's never to late to get in shape?" I said.

"Very well. Go off to class. And James, are you sure there's nothing you want to tell me?" asked nurse Collins.

"Just that Neil's being bullied, and it just took a turn for the physical!" I said in my head. "No," I told the nurse.

"Just know that you can tell me anything," said nurse collins putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Sure thing. Thanks! Bye now," I said quickly hurrying to class.

The gym was, like everything else in Melrose, huge. The boys from my class were lined up next to each other, dressed in red shorts and white T-shirts. I rushed to join them, and found myself standing next to Nick as the coach introduced himself.

"I'm Coach Dixon Avery," he said looking at me. "You must be James Matherson!"

"Yes, Coach." I confirmed.

"Welcome to Melrose Mr. Matherson. Are you familiar with Dodgeball?" he asked.

"Good. Explain how you play the game to your fellow students," he ordered.

"Emm...based on our number, we're divided into 2 groups, of an equal number of players, on each side of the court. Balls are placed in the middle of the court and the objective of the game is to use those balls to strike each other until the entire opposing team is eliminated. If the ball is caught, the player can either bring back a teammate or keeps it as a life for himself incase he gets eliminated." I explained.

"Excellent!" began Coach Avery, "Matherson, you're going to be the captain of team A. Williams, you're going to be the captain of team B."

Wait? Did I just hear that right? Nick and I were captains of opposite teams? This was either going to go horribly wrong, or pleasantly well. I had the chance to get back at Nick for what he did to Neil, but I had no idea how good of a player Nick was. I mean, I was a decent player. Was he?