Chapter 9- Cheese buns

Katniss Pov

"I'll meet you at your house okay?" Peeta asks leaning on the bonnet of his car, smiling.

"Sure thing. Just follow me." I say and slide into my ute, wincing as the hot leather burns my bare skin.

Peeta nods from inside his car and revs the engine. Somehow we ended up parking next to each other this morning.

The drive to my house isn't that far, but I have to keep making sure Peeta is behind me or can easily see me.

"Hey there."he says pulling into my driveway.

"Hi. I'll be back shortly" with that I run inside and into my room.

I change into a pair of gray sweatpants and and a navy scarf that makes my neck tickle a bit.

A chuck my keys on the table, replacing  them with my phone which I left at home today.

"Hey little duck where are you" I call from the hallway outside of Prims room.

"Prim?....ooof"
I get crashed into from behind, getting a little winded. Turning I see Prim has wrapped her arms around me in a death grip.

"Hey katniss" Prim says laughing

"Hey little duck." I breath turning in her arms and returning her hug

"Hia"

"Where's Mum or Plutarch?" I ask stroking her hair

"Umm... Mums sleeping off her night shift and Plutarch is in his study... I think...why?"

"I'm heading over to a friends house for a while. Can you tell Plutarch I'll be back before dinner"

"Sure. Love you bye" Prim says letting go of me and running back into her room.

Smiling, I run back out the house and hop into Peetas car shoving my phone in my pocket.

"Ready?" He jokes looking at his phone "You took five minutes. That is precious time wasted that I will never get back. "

"I am terribly sorry" I laugh "Whatever can I do to make it up to you?"

"Hmmmmm" he says stroking  his chin joking

"Hurry up and get driving. I'm hungry" I say turning up the radio

"Yes maim" he says starting to drive.

We talk, joke and laugh the whole way to Peetas house. Its practically a ants nest compared to mine. A small apartment located over a guess is the family bakery.

We walk into the bakery via the front door  and the bell rings. Soon after, what looks like one of Peeta's older brothers pokes his head above the counter, a cloth clasped in his hand.

He is very similar to Peeta with the same face, but brown hair and the same pretty blue eyes.

"How may I he.. Oh hey Peeta and ooooooo who's this?" He says leaning on the counter

"I'm Katniss. So which brother are you the annoying one or annoying one?" I say laughing

"Hmmmm very cheeky, but I think im hmmm..... The ... Annoying one"

I smile and look in the glass for something to eat

"See ya later little bro" Peetas brother says walking up the stairs located in the back.

"Bye" Peeta calls hanging his jacket on the rack. He smiles at me and i smile back,  before scanning over the contents inside the counter.

My eyes catch something and in a second I leap over the counter and take it out.

I take a bite and sigh. Mmmmm!

"What are these" I ask taking another bite

"Cheese buns. Made by me only" Peeta says popping up next to me

"There delicious!"

"Thanks"

I eat a few more, loving the goodness as it travels down my throat. "I'll pay for theese" I reassure Peeta reaching for the last bun.

"Nah. Don't worry about it. No one will know."

I smile again "You sure?"

"Absolutely. Besides I have to make some more any way and you have to help me. Follow me."

Peeta doesnt give me a chance to object as we stalks into the kitchen.

I follow him into the kitchen "oh no you really dont want me cooking"

"Because you ate them, you have to help make some more" Peeta says sternly taking out ingredients.

"Im serious. You really don't want me making them. I can't cook" I repeat, sitting on the bench

"Oh come on! I'll teach you. Just cause you think you can't cook doesn't mean you won't be" Peeta says throwing a small packet of flour at me

I poke out my tough and catch it, before hopping off the bench to follow Peeta's intructions.

30 minutes later and a kitchen with flour on the roof -don't ask- the cheese buns are ready to eat.

I take one of the ones I made and compare it with Peeta's. His have risen up nicely, the cheese still slightly bubbling from the heat. And then there is mine. Completely deflated, a little burned and they look like blobs of dough and cheese.

"See I told you I can't cook!" I whine holding up my bun between two fingers.

"Yes you can. Just need more practice that's all" Peeta reassures grabing one of mine I'm sure that they taste good"

I cringe as Peeta takes a bite. The adorable grin on his face disappears as his fscr contorts, but he does swallow. Although i think it was for my sake not his.

"See" He coughs "Not all that bad"

I raise my eyebrows and laugh "lier"

He chuckles "okay they were pretty gross."

I pull a face, in which Peeta matches before snatching up one of the perfect buns. I practocally inhale the bun as Peeta goes to wash his hands.

My phone lights up with a text from my mum, the familiar sound echoing the room.

Mum- Hey sweetie, just woke up. Prim said you were at a friends. What time will you be home?

I instanty reply after licking the grease of my fingers

I'm heading home now. Be about 10 mins.

Mum- Okay! Well see you soon. Bye bye love you

Love you too mum

"Who was that?" Peeta says as he comes back into the room, his car keys strung on his pointer finger.

"My mum wondering when I coming home" I say following Peeta out the door.

"Well we better get going then shant we?"

"We shall".

Hey guys. Hopes to you liked it. Remeber to vote and leave a nice comment.

-Sarah
        xoxoxox