Team Formation L, and A Steady Heartbeat

Koko’s POV:

“Koyalee, Team Formation L!” Nat calls, her earth exploding out of the ground as she fumed. Her eyes were golden, but flecks of green were still visible in her eyes; her green in her eyes represented her humanity. She still clung onto her humanity, even in a time where she didn’t need it. I nod, and start to let my sword transform into its Shadow Form. I smirk lightly, and chuckle as it feeds off of the light.

“Ya chose the wrong opponent, Lucifer.” I growl, and start to lift up my sword, twirling it with expertise. Nat held her sword over and clashed it with mine, shadows starting to twist and braid over the metal, transforming it into a sword of darkness and earth. “Team Formation L; Begin!” I charge, swerving to the right while she bolted to the left, crossing over my footsteps as she jumped up against the wall. I hopped up and flipped down, my feet stepping against Nat’s hands as she hefted me into the air.

“The best way to block out a light-” I start, starting to spin with my sword in both hands, holding it so it would plunge down as I spiraled, closing my eyes and holding my breath to keep in the nausea that came in waves over me. Nat’s vines and rocks weaved around me, it starting to form a bullet of earth and shadows.

“-Is to use fight it with darkness!” I yowl, and hear a shriek as Nat stabbed him in the base of his tail, making him fall to his back as I aimed for his heart, the darkness blasting through him and engulfing his light.  

“Now!” Nat calls, and we cross swords, each protruding next to the other’s hilt. “We may not be able to defeat you, but we may be able to delay you. We can put you back to sleep. To not harm anyone; to-to-to not-” I looked up at the girl, to see tears were running down her cheeks as she gripped her lockets that hung from her chain. “Have sweet dreams, King of the Light.” She then just whispered, pulling out her sword briskly.

“Nat…” I start softly, pulling out my own and seeing the man start to disintegrate. I sheathed my sword, as did Nat, and I saw her fall forward. Catching her by her shoulders, I sighed lightly. “It’s okay now. He won’t hurt any-”

“Why couldn’t I save her? Why couldn’t I save anyone?” She blurts, her hands fumbling for something to hold onto, so I laced my fingers with hers, squeezing them. “Why couldn’t I save Daichi, or-or Hoshimi, or Shiemi?!” She wails, her eyes tearing up as she lets out a bawl, her left hand falling to her side, its blackened state worsening by the minute.

“Just-just stay calm for-”

“Daichi!!” She cried out, losing her grip on my hand and trying to reach out for the air beside me, towards my right and towards the demon king’s body.

“Nat, stop it. It’s-it’s not real.” I say quietly, trying to pull her back from Lucifer. I turned to look over to Rin, who was unconscious on the ground, his tail a stump that writhed around. I covered my mouth, and pulled Nat back, though she screamed, kicking as she tried to go back. “Stop this, Nat!” I cry, and jerk her, hearing her hit the ground as she falls down. I look at her, seeing her surprised and scared face as she realized that I had shoved her to the ground. I bit my lip, and looked away, now horrified, scared that I could’ve hurt her.

“B-but...D-daichi was-”

“She’s not real, Nat!!” I close my eyes, and help her up, clenching my fists. “I’m sorry. Really. I-” I let out a soft sigh, and rub my head. “Let’s just get you back, ne?” I suggest, helping her put her arm over my shoulder. She nods, and starts to help up Rin. He nods a little, seeming slightly in his conscious as he clutched onto his sister, his head buried in her shoulder and his flames of his tail in his hand.

“A-alright.” She whispers, wrapping an arm around me and an arm around her brother. Then, with weary and mature faces, we started the journey back to the medic tent.

Nat’s POV:

I held Rin close to me, and looked over to Bon, who sat next to Shiemi’s bed in the infirmary. “R-Ryuuji…” I started weakly, giving Rin to the arms of a doctor reluctantly, and fell into his arms. “Ryuuji, I…” I blush a lot, and I look up at him. “I-I um...w-well, I-” I close my eyes, and just bury my head into his shirt.

“Nat, just-just stay here.” He mumbles, and pulls me closer to him as he buries his head in my hair. “Kami, I just-just want it to be normal again.” He mumbled, and I only nodded numbly, images running through my mind of what ‘normal’ would be. Bon would be paying close attention to the board, while Shima gaped at Izumo. Konkemaru would play with Haru and Kuro with his cat toys, and Izumo would be quiet and paying attention to the board, though causing trouble when she thought something was stupid. Rin would be trying his best to stay awake, but he would always fall asleep. Shiemi- oh, Kami- Shiemi would-

“Will it be normal again?” I ask quietly, watching the patients flow in and out of the tents. With a bandaged arm, I wiped my teary eyes and grime smudged face against the gauze.

“It will be. I promise.” He whispered, pressing his lips awkwardly over my head. I nod, and wipe my tears away before looking over at the body of the girl that was known as our friend Shiemi.

“Okay.” I whimper, my ear pressed against his chest. His heartbeat-it’s steady, like a drum. Unwavering. Even in times of distress or when it would race, or if it would slow when he’s relaxed, but no- it’s steady and strong. Ryuuji, you’re strong, huh? I think, and close my eyes, focusing on the rhythm of Bon’s heart.