A Surprising Fear, and a Familiar's Love

Bon’s POV:

I looked at Haru confused for a while, seeing she was clearly sulking. She was draped over the front of my saddle, her head against my right knee as I wobbled slightly in the saddle, my hands rested on Haru’s back as I held the reins of Bingo. “Oi, Haru.” I say out of the blue, now a little curious. I remembered Nat’s hands shaking-even the tiniest- but still trembling. Why was she trembling?

“Hm?” She grumbled, lifting up her chin.

“Why do Nat’s hands tremble while she prepares the horses for the ride?” I ask, a little louder. She then bites the reins of Bingo, causing the mare to halt, allowing Shima, Izumo, Shiemi, and Rin to pass us, though Rin seemed to have a concerned look on his face.

“Eh? What was that for?” I ask, now a little weirded out. Weird cat. All of the animals are weird. They can talk, and act like a human, though they’re clearly animals. But it seems like they’re so...humane.

“So you won’t tell anyone this. Nat hasn’t told even Rin nor Yukio this.” She hissed, her fur lightly bristling. I nodded slowly, and frowned slightly. It never came to my mind that Nat wouldn’t tell either Rin or Yukio anything. They were that close. Hell, they lived in the same building for over 13 years, and still do.

“Yeah, then why tell me?” I mumble, huffing as I grip the reins tighter. Nat wouldn’t tell someone like me. She doesn’t trust me like that.

“Because she really cares about you. She’s afraid to lose you again. She’s afraid to lose anyone. But you asked, so I’m gonna tell.” She stated quietly, though her eyes watered as she let out a soft wail.

“S-she...She’s afraid of horseback riding.”

“W-What? How?!” I screech, my eyes wide as plates. She only whined, tears dripping from her eyes, down her nose and off her muzzle. I never knew animals could cry, and I never knew animals could feel the same pain that we did so vividly.

“S-She...it’s a long story. She...She had a grandfather. He was married into the clan, and he married her grandmother, Emiko-the wolf that is very mouthy-.” She smiles faintly, and leans back down. “He and her father were at a horse riding competition… and…” She stops, and seemed like she was in her own world now. When she started to tell me the story again-from her point of view- my heart seemed like it was aching.

14 Years Ago-At a Horse Riding Competition- Haru’s POV:

I was held in my master’s- Nat’s- arms, as we watched her grandfather and his companion Ramses trot along the arena, going in different choreography and patterns. Her father and his companion Lolita were standing at the opening of the arena, waiting for their part of the performance. Ramses stumbled slightly, though this time it seemed more unstable than his born limp. A foul scent filled my nose, and I scrunched it up as my eyes started to widen. This scent… I thought to myself as my figure stiffened in my master’s arms.

“Haru?” I heard the soft voice of Nat whisper to me, and her eyes widen, her figure starting to tremble. “Opaa-san!! Opaa-san!!” She cried, setting me down and starting to run to the railing, jumping off it and landing in the arena dirt. When I looked back over to Opaa-san-my master’s grandfather- he was lying on the ground, and Ramses was galloping around, whinnying in pain. Blood gushed from his hind left hoof, and I yowled.

“Master no!” I cried, and started to spring into a jump, but rough, calloused hands caught me in mid-air.

“Yamete, Haru!” The furious voice of Mizuki-Nat’s mother- growled, but I could see there were tears in her eyes.

“No! She’s my-she’s my master!!” I protest, my small frame squirming in the hands of Mizuki. I saw Opaa-san start to get up, though he couldn’t move his lower back. When Ramses went closest to him, he raised his upper body up, trying to grasp his hoof-to touch him- but then I heard a thwack and a crack, seeing Opaa-san’s figure back on the ground.

OPAA-SAN!!” I heard my master scream, getting held back by her father, who had tears flowing from his eyes like rivers. When Mizuki let go of me, her eyes were flooded with tears, them dripping down to her chin and to the floor.

“M-Mizuki-san...Gomen.” I mumble, and jump off the railing and land next to Nat, who was sobbing on the ground. Opaa-san was carried off the arena, while many tamers came to tranquilize Ramses. When Nat stopped crying, and when Otou-san stopped stroking her hair and hugging her, I finally looked up at my master- at my companion.

“Master...Are you alright now?” I asked softly, and nudged her hand with my head. When she looked up at me, she only nodded, kissing my head.

“Dai-jo-bu.”

She gave me a soft smile, but that sad, pained smile broke my heart.

Bon’s POV:

“Her grandfather was sent to the hospital immediately, and… The doctors said he was crippled. He couldn’t move his lower body for the rest of his life, and he lost all of his memories. He had short-term memory loss, so each day he’d forget all of his memories. When Nat and her family first visited him, he had looked at them with confusion, and asked them, ‘Who are you?’. Nat ran out of the room crying, because her Opaa-san was her best friend, he was the person in the house that she could play with, help and care to. She felt like she needed to help him, and she couldn’t now. That’s when her fear started. She loved these horses, though. These horses were and still are her family. She couldn’t just give up on them, much less...Ramses.” She mumbled his name, and I grimaced.

“I’m guessing you still have the grudge against him?” I started softly, and she only nodded.

“He caused her so much pain. He made Opaa-san suffer.” She stopped, and ducked her head. “I’m done talking, it’s too much of something for me to talk about.” She stated.

I only nodded, and gently patted her head, setting her on the ground. “No worries. We’re already here.”