Friends, and Directions

The Next Day- Nat’s POV:

Propping myself up to my elbows, I yawned before flexing my shoulders and stretching. Feeling the tension in between my shoulders and the heavy weight on my stomach, I figured I’d have to go back to Yukio for stress-relief. I rubbed my cub’s belly to take my mind off of that thought, making her purr lightly under her breath. I smiled a little at the sound, it familiar and heartwarming, and started to wander the room, looking for some clothes that would be suitable for school. Before this, I hadn’t really cared about what people saw me in, as the only thing people would be seeing was my familiar’s fangs.

I heard someone knock on the door of my room, so I hastily yanked the blouse off the hanger in the closet, starting to button up the rumpled fabric as I slipped my arms into the sleeves. “Coming!” I called to the front of the dorm, before quickly pulling my skirt to my hips and flattening out the ruffles, pulling my hair up and wrapping my tie around my neck. The gesture was swift and easy, but I knew that I’d probably have to do the same for Rin. My mind pondered on what embarrassed expression he’d make this time if I’d do this, and so I just let the poor boy be for the time being with a wistful smile on my face.

“Onee-chan, we’re gonna be late if you don’t hurry your butt!” Rin’s voice whines on the other side, and I stifle a small chuckle, nudging Haru up to make sure that she knew I had left. The last time I had left without her warning, the cub had almost torn down the building in a flurry to search for her master. I had learned my lesson then, but sometimes urgency won the thoughts that swirled in my mind.

“I said I’m coming, baka!” I yell back, and open the door with a sigh, only to get that breath hitched right back when I was hugged by him. I smile, awkwardly wrapping my arms around him back, squeezing him lightly. “Weirdo.” I mutter, and gently pat his head, letting my nose rest in his neck. It was annoying that he was almost four inches taller than me, but he probably didn’t like it just as much as I did.

I get tackled by someone, and I look down to see Konkemaru’s arms around my sides, his head nestled on my arm. I squeak, and blush faintly before smiling, slowly wrapping my arms around him. I ignore the sirens going on in my head. Natsuki, remember what happened that day. Always remember that. Because of you, they died. It was your fault, A voice inside me hissed, and I looked down before gently nudging him away. “W-We need to go.” I state softly, before filling my fingers with my skirt’s hem, starting to walk quickly to the class.

My cat protested, starting to trot after me. I stopped, and smiled a little at her. “Stay here, girl. You can come back when I call you.” I murmur to her, scratching her left cheek. She huffed, but purred anyways, padding back to the shorter boy. I stood up, and quickly looked away from them, starting to jog away as fast as I could. I couldn’t make friends. I couldn’t. I couldn’t love anyone. First my mother and father, then Shiro. It was all my fault.

I shake my head quickly, and run a hand through my hair. I feel someone storm along the stone, and I turn to see Bon. I quickly turn away, but he grabs my shoulder, pulling my face to him.

“Why’d you push him away like that?! He feels awful. You could’ve done something else to tell him to get off!” He states with a glare, and I wince. I don’t answer, and only clench my fists harder, before looking up at him with tears in my eyes. His eyes widened, and he quickly tried to find a way to awkwardly comfort me. “I-I...Sorry. I didn’t know you were...sensitive.”

I shake my head, wiping my eyes furiously. “It’s nothing. I just...I want to be your friend. But...I can’t bear to hurt any one of you. And that’s why. Please don’t tell anyone.” I immediately squeak, and blush a lot closing my eyes. “Okay?”

After a few moments, he nods. “Alright. But at least apologize to him.” He states gruffly, and crosses his arms.

I nod, smiling a little. “Mm.” After a few moments, I finally speak again. “I remember you.” I murmur quietly, my cheeks flushing. He looks over at me, an eyebrow raised. “I-I mean...from my childhood. You were the guy who’d ‘protect’ me from Shima.” I giggle a little, and he has a whisper of a smile on his lips, and leans against the wall.

Seeing the clock, he gapes and quickly grabs my wrist, making me yelp and blush a lot. With flaming cheeks, he starts to run, dragging me along with him. “H-hey!” I try to protest, but it comes out meekly. He keeps on running.

“Don’t make me pick you up!” He scowls, his cheeks burning. I blush even more, and just jog with him, eventually speeding up and going faster than him. “This way!” He scolds, pulling me in his direction making me slam into his back.

“O-Ow!” I yelp, and rub my head. I shake my head, before stumbling a little. He steadies me, coming into the classroom to see that not everyone was there. We breathed out in relief, and he quickly lets go of me, pushing me away from him, making me stumble and fall into Rin. He catches me, and casts a glare at Bon.

“Nattie-chan, did he lay his hands on you?!” He examines me, making me blush a lot.

“No fair! Only I can do that!” Shima whines, getting up from next to Bon, wrapping his arms around me from behind, making Izumo scowl and my cheeks flush. Rin makes a low noise come out from his throat, pulling me to him.

“G-guys please stop…” I murmur, but no one hears. Shima and Rin wrestle and tousle around me, and I am now stuck between. I clench my fists, and see Yukio come in. “G-guys! Please stop being testosterone, bickering children!” I yelp, and cross my arms. Izumo cheers, and Shura chuckles. They stop and pout.

“Onee-chan!” The navy haired boy protests, and my eyes soften.

“G-gomen.” I mumble. I blush a lot, surprised by my own outburst. I look down, embarrassed.

“Can you apologize to me by coming to dinner with me tonight?” Shima offers, and I only shake my head, blushing more and trying to find an empty seat. I see it next to Konkemaru, in front of Shima. I sit down next to Konkemaru, and softly nudge his side.

“K-konkemaru-san...Gomen. I didn’t mean to do anything to hurt your feelings...it’s just an issue that’s personal. But...I’ll try to be your friend, if you’ll let me.” I murmur, and blush looking at Konkemaru before hugging him. “S-so… if not it’s your turn to push me away.” I mumble against his head. Instead of feeling hands push at my stomach, I feel arms wrap around me and pull me closer.

“Arigatou, Nat-san.” I heard muffled at my throat, and I smiled, hugging him tighter and pulling away. I felt someone gently tug on my hair, and I turn to meet Bon’s eyes. He mouths, ‘Thanks.’ I smile back, blushing faintly as I shrug. ‘No problem.’ I mouth back. I turn back over to Yukio, and start to pay attention to the class.