Hatred, a New Demon, and a Bullet

“O-Onee-chan!” I heard Hoshimi call out to me, but I shake my head.

“This is between me and her.” I state firmly, and then looked back at the girl who stood in front of me, clad in a leather jacket, a ripped shirt that was dirty and jean shorts. Her boots were splattered with dirt and mud, as if she had been through a mud pit and obstacle course.

“You stand there like nothing happened. Like absolutely nothing happened that day!!” She yelled, her voice pained and disgusted. I flinch, and I hear the shuffle of Rin’s hand on my shoulder, though I only shrug it off, shaking my head. “You watched them!! You watched him-”

“I could not do anything. I was only a toddler, cousin. I was three!!” I yell, tears filling my eyes. “You think I wouldn’t have done anything if I was older?! If I had at least some power; something?!!” I feel hot tears of frustration, of sadness, of pain, of hurt race down my cheeks like rain droplets on a window. “I loved them, I cared for them!! They were my family; they were my friends!” I say to her softly, tears dripping from my chin to the ground. “I had to watch him destroy you...half of your body was...was so bloody…” I whisper, and with trembling fingers, I cover my eyes. Then, I look at her, happy tears filling my eyes. “M-My family… is still alive. I’m not alone anymore.” I whisper, and hold out my hand to her. “If you...If you need someone-anyone...I will always be here for you.” I state gently, and blink back tears as she slaps my hand away.

“I can’t go to the person who watched someone kill my family.” She growled, her voice low and hoarse. I smiled faintly, then with teary eyes, lift up my hand so my fist would meet hers.

“Two opponents with the same strength’s first strike can see what is going through their heart; their mind.” I recite, and look into her icy blue eyes. With a glare, she smashed her fist against mine. Seeing my family’s death in front of me, she fell on her knees, sobbing. I recoiled, seeing the darkness that had gorged out most of her heart, refilling it with lies and hatred.

“I hate you!!” She screamed at me, her eyes now darkening with more and more hatred. I looked at the sea, which was now starting to erupt with powerful waves. “I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!” She cried, angered and horror-driven tears dripping down her cheeks.

“Daichi...It’s okay if you hate me. But just know that I will always love you, no matter what you do.” I whisper, and let my hand go slack against my side. She turns away from me, along with her wolf that had gray fur and black splotches on its paws and belly.

“Egyn, deal with them.” She mutters, her voice sour. I turn to see the sea serpent, who was starting to slither towards us.

“Nat. Nat.” I heard Rin say softly, though I just kept gazing at Daichi’s back of her head-the only family I had left- who was leaving me. “Nat!” He called, shaking my shoulders. I jumped, and stared at Rin with glassy eyes. “What do we need to do?” He asked with a more gentle tone, and so I looked back at him with a sad and painful smile.

"Ryuuji. Yukio. Get your guns. Rin. Stay here with Koyalee. Konkemaru, Mika, get ready to say verses from the Old Testament; Genesis.” I command, and then look at Shiemi, Izumo, and Shima. “Shima. Get ready to defend them. Izumo. Get out your familiars. Shiemi. Be ready to get Nee out for barriers and herbs for healing.”

I then look back to the man who stood before me, his navy blue hair shaggy, almost to the bottom of his ears. He had algae green eyes, with tanned skin and gills on his neck.

“So you must be ‘The Earth Guardian’. I’ve heard much about you. Your mother was almost elected Paladin. Very impressive, indeed.” He chuckles, then cracks his knuckles. “She was almost a match for my father; your nemesis.” He smirks slightly, and comes in front of me, tilting my chin up with his fingers.

“How a very much pleasure to be able to drown a beautiful soul like yours.” He whispers in my ear, then pulls away, winking at me. I hold up my sword to his throat, kicking him away before jumping over to the ocean, sheathing my sword before submerging, morphing with my serpent familiar. “How impressive!! A very unusual skill of your clan; to morph with your familiars!!” He pondered, swimming next to me.

I did not answer him, and start to swim, my now earned tail starting to glide through the water. My breath was absorbed by my gills, which took in each breath deeply and clearly. I then turned to see his claw starting towards my hair, in which I cut off his nail of his index finger.

“Ite!! Aw, you meanie!” He whined, a cheeky smile on his face. I then emerged, gasping for air. I shook my head, climbing onto the serpent, seeing the man now on his head. “Can’t get rid of me that easily~” He cheers, and snickers as I stab my sword into the serpent, causing it to screech in pain.

“Now!!” I call to Yukio and Bon, who aim their guns at its mouth and fire, a pistol and huge gun’s beam mixing to form a bullet that had energy to cut through anything. It split through the snake’s mouth, then out of the back of its throat, causing it to gag and wheeze for breath. I run up its back, clashing with the man. Watching the snake’s end of its tail start to simmer into steam and dust, I started to back up closer to the base of its back. I smiled; Konkemaru and Hoshimi were stating the right verses. That’s good.

“Now is time to drown my beloved soul~” Egyn purrs, appearing from behind me and shoving my frame into the water, jumping in after me. I gasped for breath, unable to contain Hibiki-my serpent familiar- because I could only morph for a period of time. I fought against Egyn, and smiled in relief when Hibiki bit Egyn in the leg, causing him to swat him, letting go of me. Swimming next to Hibiki, I quickly made my way back to the shore, coughing out water.

“Onee-chan!” Rin yelled, running to me and wrapping his arms around me. I smile faintly, but it immediately fades when a blast is heard, and a bullet case falls to the ground.