24. Lies

Sitting in the car, driving home from the Inn, I was quiet and deep in thought. Kristi had my mind in a whirlwind of what ifs and maybes.
What if she is truly sorry?
What if she is lying?
Maybe she needs help?
Maybe it was just the alcohol that made her say those things?

"For the love of everything that is holy, please say something," Mads says sighing. I turn to face him, his eyes staring at the dark road.

The moons shined down on the road, the headlights iluminated the darkness. The trees, a barrier between us and the wild. The wind shifting, becoming much more intense causing leaves to fall.

I remember the day before my attack, the way the wind carried and the sun shined, heating my skin as I went for my morning run. I remembered running for my life, hearing a growl from the foliage, fear building in my chest. The way I felt, nearly vomiting due to the excessive addrenaline and fear.

"Do you think there are bears in these woods?" I ask suddenly.

"What?" He says bemused. His eyebrows furrow, squinting his eyes.

"Are we going to talk about Kristi?" He asks.

"Are you going to answer my question?"

He sighs, shaking his head in both confusion and frustration.

"No, there are no bears in these woods. There is very little wildlife here on the island. Theres deer but no bears," he explains in a tone of annoyance.

"Only deer?" I question. I shake my head then think to myself, the words come out loud. "But deer don't growl."

"What are you talking about? Growling? What are we talking about?" Mads asks worriedly, confused as all hell.

"I remember hearing growling. The day before I was attacked, when I was running... there was growling and I got scared and ran away.... deers don't growl though," I explain confused myself.

"Sweetheart... I am very confused... you heared growling when you were attacked?"

"No, the day before..."

"Maybe you just got scared. Theres nothing out here."

"Only deer."

"Yes, only deer. Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, I'm not going crazy," I warn.

"I wasn't saying that. I was merely wondering."

"I feel fine. I was just thinking, trying to remember, retrace my steps..."

His right hand moves from the steering wheel to my thigh. Calmly squeezing my thigh with reassurance.

"It's okay if you don't remember," he says. "You don't have to. What is important is that you are safe and healthy, which you are."

"But I don't remember... what if I'm not safe?"

"You are," he says almost angrily. "I am right here, no one will hurt you or even come near. I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep..."

"I will keep that promise. I rather die then let anything happen to you."

"That I believe but what if-" I begin, doubt in my voice. I stop myself, not wanting to make the issue worse. He is quiet for a moment. Pulling into our driveway.

"If you keep questioning me and your safety, your nightmares are only going to get worse," he explains.

"How could they possibly get worse? Screaming and crying in my sleep isn't the worst kind?"