Chapter 75 - Aftermath (Part 1)

Twisted Moon - Book 3 of the Black Moon series - Chapter 75: Aftermath (Part 1)

(Camden's POV - Sun. 19 July 2015)

There is this thick fog in my head that blurs all my thoughts and prevent them from being clear. This is annoying me to the highest point. Much more than this pain near my shoulder that increases as I resurface to consciousness. What bothers and angers me the most is that I feel like I shouldn't be in this state; that I should be fighting for something; or someone...

Noah!!!

As the fog slowly dissipates, all the memories of what happened kick in. Chris's email. Noah's bruised body. The race to reach that location Chris mentioned in his apologies. The fear on Noah's face. The sight of Andrei carrying a body that I would recognize among thousands over his shoulder. All the stripes on his frail back. The fight with Andrei. The pain on Noah's face. The horrible collar around his neck. All the blows and kicking with the bastard. Noah disappearing in the woods.

And then, the blackout. Oh I did hear the sound of a gun being shot. I also felt the pain when the bullet broke through my flesh but this is not what caused the blackout. In normal times, I would have barely faltered, but between the lack of sleep and food, I think I lost my balance and the last thing I remember is the sharp pain as I fell and my head hit something hard. That one probably explains the awful headache that doesn't help my thinking.

"We're almost there, Sir..." someone says above me.

Fuck!!! Who was that? This is not a voice I know! Where am I? Now that I think about it, it feels like I am being driven. But Noah... Where is Noah? He was hiding somewhere in the woods... What happened after I stupidly lost consciousness? Andrei looked like he was going to take him to the van I saw parked nearby... Holy God... Did he manage to flee? I know the guys were not that far behind, but did they arrive on time to save my boy? Or did Andrei find him and took him away?

"Noah... Noah..."

"Please calm down, Sir; we'll be at the hospital in a couple of minutes..." the same voice says.

"Where's Noah...?"

"He's in the other ambulance, Sir. Don't worry, he will be fine..."

Relief.

Just a tad bit of relief.

As if he could be fine... I don't know exactly what he went through, but I saw the marks on his body. I know that bastard of Andrei and his tendencies; just thinking he probably abused my boy makes me sick again but I fight the nausea.

Don't worry, he will be fine...

How could he ever be fine after anything like this? This is absolutely not the time to verse into self-pity or to think about things like that. What I need right now is to grab a hold on my self-control and to know that he is safe and taken care of. I am not sure about how much I will be capable of the first one but the voice at least leads me to think that the second one is in due course, so I try to relax a little bit. Cracking my eyes open, the light in the ambulance van sends another jolt of pain to my head but I keep them open to see what is going on as the car pulls to a stop.

"I need to see him..." I grumble when the doors open at the back of the van, trying to prop myself up on my elbows.

"Please Sir, lay back down. We first need to take care of you," the voice says again and this time I see that it belongs to a middle-aged man in scrubs as my stretcher is being pulled out. I try to look around for Noah while the man explains the situation to other doctors and nurses.