Chapter 4 - A Call To Order

Twisted Moon - Book 3 of the Black Moon series - Chapter 4: A Call To Order

(Camden's POV - Tue. 20 January 2015)

Unlike some of my friends, I am not a sleepless maniac and as much as Aaron, Mark or even Joshua can go with four or five hours of sleep, sometimes even less, I do need a minimum of six hours and I can even enjoy eight to ten hour nights sometimes. With less than six, I cannot guarantee my mood; and I swear that said mood can easily turn to atrocious when I only get three or four hours. Believe me...

Last night, I got barely four; that sets the scene. After I left the guest room, I went straight to bed and I was hoping for a good night's sleep but every fucking half-hour, I woke up with a startle, worrying about the young guy's state and wondering if he was still there and alive. I just couldn't fall back asleep until I would have gotten up to check up on him, making sure that he was warm enough and still breathing. At six, I give up on my sleep and go downstairs for a coffee.

I spend a good thirty minutes wondering what I should do with him. I obviously can't keep him here, my house is no permanent shelter and I don't have time to take care of a kid, but I still want to know more about the teenager and see if I can provide him with any help. For that, I will need to make him talk of course, and I might even offer him to stay for another night. I am even ready to cancel a few of my earliest appointments if necessary, but then, I remember that tonight is the evening I have scheduled my "reminder-session" with Aaron; as much as the thought of postponing it pisses me off, I am afraid that I will have to call my friend and reschedule our plans if the boy stays for another night.

Okay, so that actually really annoys me to be honest because, ever since Aaron and I agreed on the date last New Year's Eve, he has been trying to talk me into cancelling it, to reverse my decision. The only way to keep it on has been to insist on how much I need this reminder and to convince him that I am sure about my choice. Now if I call him and say that I want to postpone, he will believe that I am not so confident about my decision and will give me a hard time to plan for another date and time. Aaron is not someone you can easily lie to but I just can't tell him that I brought a young homeless to my house. He would think that I have gone crazy and he would get dubious about my intentions, even if they are perfectly honest and without ulterior motives.

However, first things first and my priority for now is to feed that young man because he truly needs it. Being single and kind of living like an old bachelor doesn't mean that my cupboards and refrigerator are filled with junk food and high calorie stuff. I actually lead a quite healthy life. I work out whenever I can to keep my body decently shaped; martial arts used to be some kind of salvation for me when I was a student, but between my crazy hours at the practice and all the nights I spend at the club now, I mostly run and do a bit of push-ups when I have time. I quitted smoking years ago and I rarely drink alcohol; I have enough difficulty controlling my urges so I don't need the latter to affect my self-discipline. Lastly, and it goes along with the rest, I have a very healthy diet, meaning that my fridge is filled with dairies, vegetables, fruits and meat while my cupboards are nearly empty of crackers, cookies, chips or sweets of any sorts. I know, I sound like a boring kind of person, but at the same time, I have never pretended to be a cool guy.

Anyway, I have gotten used to this healthy lifestyle. However, as much as I have become reluctant to buy junk food, I believe that this young man needs more than Greek yogurt and an apple for breakfast; I assume that donuts would sound more appealing to a teenager who looks like he has been starving for a while, so I end up getting dressed, put on my warm jacket and walk out, taking a bit of cash with me. I could take my car, but the roads haven't been cleared yet from the snow that fell last night in my residential neighborhood, and a good walk in the cold morning should help calming me down.