-ten-

10 | Cold Hands

"Eunha, why did you become a reporter?"

Eunha quirks an eyebrow as she looks at her team Captain, her face screaming confused. "No reason...I just feel like reporters should just relay the truth and tell the people the facts", she shrugs.
"Do you know why I became a reporter?", Dongho asks, leaning back on his chair. Eunha shakes her head, looking at the man in front of her. "When I was younger I didn't work at EJS but at another company. 12 years ago I was 15 and that company gave me the chance to report on a case unlike any other-- a fire at a factory", he looks up at her, his eyes not avoiding hers. She gulps, feeling her heart rate speeding up as she feels her hands clam up. "I saw how that story ruined a family, it was...mortifying to say the least. When my team capt told me there was another story involving Seongyoo's family, they ushered me to the sight where a little girl's shoe was there all alone," he stands up and leans against the table, crossing his arms, "Then I saw the worst thing a young highscooler should have never seen-- one older brother screaming and crying over his now desceased mother and younger sister, leaving him all alone. It was terrifying for me, it was so awful. He took down cameras, screaming and crying out his mother's and sister's name", he looks at Eunha, but it's as if he's looking into his past as if the images are still as fresh as they were from 12 years ago. "Because of that one moment, I quit being a reporter for that company. I moved onto running that old show where students from different schools were asked trivia questions to win a grand prize, what was that show called?"

"A-Team", Eunha responds.

"Ah yes, A-Team. I worked there when I was 19 years old, six years after that story. When I was running that show, I saw a young girl about 16 on it going against the same school's A-Ranked student. The were on the last question and the other girl only got one part of the 4-part answer but when it got to the 16 year old girl, she said the three other parts but when she got to the last one she responded with 'I don't know'. She knew the answer but she gave it to the other girl, probably to rub it in her face but it didn't look like it. After the show I went up to her infuriated, asking her 'Do you think broadcasting is a joke?!'", he shakes his head, raising his voice as if he were scolding the girl. Eunha flinches, gulping.
"But she simply shook her head, stopping the elevator when it was about to go down. I looked at her, the fury in her eyes was like deja vu for me. Do you know what she said?", Dongho looks at her completely, stepping out of his memory. Eunha shakes her head, her mouth slightly open as her heart beat rings in her ears.

"'Why would I think of broadcasting as a joke? Broadcasting could kill a person with just one word! Being in this place make me feel like I'm suffocating! I can't even think straight with all these cameras and all of these stupid reporters! You killed them! You killed my mother and brother!'", he states, walking up to Eunha. She tries to process the words, feeling her breath taken away at his memory.

"And then it clicked in my brain— the younger sister wasn't dead but she was back to haunt me. When she said those words, it pushed me back into becoming a reporter one more time as a repentance for her, only relaying the truth. But now I'm seeing her once more 8 years later", he looks down at her, his eyes filled with disbelief. "And you know what her name was?"

Eunha shakes her head even though she knows the answer.

"Taehee. That girl, Seongyoo's daughter, the one who I thought was haunting me. Her name was Taehee, but was going by another name. But why," he sighs, feeling his insides tighten, "is her name 'Lim Eunha'?"

"Kim Taehee, why are you working here if reporters make you feel as if you were suffocating? And why are you back here? Why are you in front of me once more?", he asks as if he were afraid of her.